Dry Hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synthetase

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm not much of a hop-head, so I've never dry hopped before. I recently put down a golden ale that's turned out a bit weak and pathetic in the flavour/aroma department so I was thinking of hitting it with some amarillo in a voile bag.

My question is, how does one take care of sanitation without ruining the hop character?

Hey guys, I'm not much of a hop-head, so I've never dry hopped before. I recently put down a golden ale that's turned out a bit weak and pathetic in the flavour/aroma department so I was thinking of hitting it with some amarillo in a voile bag.

My question is, how does one take care of sanitation without ruining the hop character?

As long as the bag is sanitized, the hops are self sterilizing which is why they got added to beer in the first place. Another useful dry hopper is: teaball which can take a hop plug or around 15g of pellets and of course you can boil it before adding hops to ensure sterility. You can get smaller ones from Kitchen shops and use two of them.

If you can, rack off the yeast after ferment is about finished, keep warm & agitate the hop trub back into the beer daily. I use a crappy lazy suzan from Ikea for this and it works a charm.

I say free the hops, let them wander around in your beer and siphon from the top again to prime/keg when you are done.

In a voile bag, I bring about 300ml to the boil in a saucepan, turn the heat off and dunk the bag of hops in for about a minute or two ... then throw the whole lot in (bag and green water).

Latest posts

Back