Dry Hopping Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dry hopped a few beers by just throwing the hops into the fermenter after primary had finished about 7 days. The result was fantastic. I dry hopped with pellets, a mate of mine belives he beers have been slightly oxidised by using plugs or flowers.

cubbie said:
... a mate of mine belives he beers have been slightly oxidised by using plugs or flowers.
Shouldn't do - plug hops are specifically intended for dry hopping. Its much easier to chuck one plug in each firking (two in a kil, four in a barrel, etc) than using whole flowers which need measuring, are hard to get through the bung hole and tend to float and come flooding back out when you fill the cask. I don't know a single UK brewer who uses pellets for dry hopping.

i also prefer to add late addition and @ flame out too

I normally prefer to add my aroma hops for 20 mins, 10 mins after boil. This was reccomended by a micro in UK whose beer I love...
However, just dry hopped for 7 days a Muntons Gold Highland Ale (a gift) with 2 plugs of fuggles & it's given what I guess is normally a pretty average ale, a wonderful lift... :D

Backlane Brewery said:
tick yr box below...

A- homebrewing is an overrated hobby infested by "experts" & myths
B- homebrewing is an excellent hobby, if you keep it as a hobby
C- homebrewing is a great way to brew the beer you like, the way that works for you.
;) What about d;all of the above. :lol: :lol: :lol:

A method I have used with some success when dry hopping has been to add about 15 - 25g of hop pellets to the secondary. I enclose the hops in a large, catering size stainless tea-ball which stops chunks of hops from clogging the sediment trap, tap and bottling valve at bottling time. It's worked well for me, mainly when dry hopping highly hopped pale ales with Cascade.

Latest posts

Back