Dry Hopping In Record Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nevalicious

Hardcore Cuber...
Reaction score
I planned on bottling tonight (high %abv toucan stout and an english bitter) and had a thought... I have dry hopped in the past only once and had great results, but completely forgot to add hops to the primary this time round as I was working on the yard all weekend

I would like to dry hop some EKG into both batches but the only problem is I'm on call as of tomorrow night and that is gonna make time for bottling very difficult.

I guess my main question was:

1) Usual recommended minimum time for a dry hop in a sock into primary or secondary (two days minimum will impart enough flavour??) or add tonight to secondary and wait till the weekend to bottle

2) What I was thinking was to make a couple of hop teas (one each batch) in 300ml of warm water, let it stand for 30 mins. Add this to the secondary and then rack onto the top of the mixture and bulk priming sugars, give it a good swirl, and then bottle...? Sound right? Will this impart aroma to the beer?? Is it even a good idea?

I'd like to think no.2 would work as that will allow me to bottle tonight and not have to juggle it around work...

Thoughts... Suggestions on hops?? I have used Goldings late additions on Bitter and Fuggles late additions to my headbanger stout (thanks Bribie G for the recipie idea!) as I figured both of these would be sufficiently bitter for me. I have available to me the usual american hops cascade, amarillo etc, some fuggles I think and lots of EKG...I have a feeling the stout may have lost lots of the aroma during the fermentation as it was quite vigorous and had a massive OG (1.105!)

Thanks heaps

Tyler

Number two is the way to go. Brew up a hop tea with 0.5 gram a litre of the Fuggles, in a plunger/french press and 200ml of boiling water. Leave it a 5 minutes and bottle away! (for the Toucan Stout). Use the EKG or EKG/Fuggles mixed for the Bitter.

Worked nicely for me in the past.

Latest posts

Back