Dry Hopping & Bulk Priming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mckinlay6

Reaction score
Okay, so my first time doing both dry-hopping and bulk priming, I have done plenty of reading but wanted to check with the experienced folk on here to make sure I have this correct so I don't ruin my batch or have bottle bombs!

My Coopers Pale Ale has been in the fermenter for 10 days now and I am going away for the weekend (will have been 15 days by the time I get back). Upon my return I will dry hop for 2-4 days (using Galaxy, amount undecided). Question being, should I rack into secondary? Or dry hop in main FV then rack into secondary solely for bulk priming?

Also, for a traditional Aussie Pale Ale does approx 150gm Dextrose sound ok for a batch just under 22L and around 20 degrees?

Thats a lot
I use to use about 130g for 23
Some good calculators out there for style

I'd do the latter, dry hop in primary and just transfer it for the priming and bottling stage. The dextrose amount depends on style but also your own tastes. For pale ale type beers I used to use about 180g in 25 litres, so that'd probably be a little over 150g in 22 litres. I'd start with 150g and see how it turns out, if you like it then keep it at that level, otherwise you can adjust on future batches.

I agree that 180 grams is a fair bit. Back when I started bulk priming I was using 8 grams a litre of white sugar. 8 grams in 22 litres would be 176 grams. 8 grams a litre of white sugar will make it impossible to pour without getting at least half a glass of foam. Dextrose will give you slightly less carbonation than white sugar, but not enough that I would want to prime with 180 grams.
I haven't used dextrose enough times to say exactly the right amount for any particular style, but 150 is a good place to start, maybe 160. More carbonation will give better head retention.

http://www.aussiehomebrewing.com/AlcoholChart/PrimingCalculator.html
Euro lagers are up there in carb levels 2.4 vol/co2
23L gives me 137g of dex beer temp 18 c
I used to do a lot of English bitters (still do ) and carbed the high end of them with 118 g
As Rocker said though it comes down to personal preference
Im not sure about more carb better head retention though rather a clean glass use crystal malt or even carapils
would be a better option

Back