Dry hopping a Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mat B

Reaction score
Bonsoir!

I made my first Saison yesterday and have 22L of it in the fermenter now. Recipe was:

[SIZE=10pt]· [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Pilsner Malt – 3.8kg[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]· [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Acidulated Malt 0.17kg[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]· [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Vienna Malt – 0.3kg[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]· [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Wheat Malt – 0.9kg[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]· [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Hallertau – 40g – 60 mins[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]· [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Mandarina Bavaria – 10g – 20 mins[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]· [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Hallertau – 10g– 10 mins[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]· [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]White Labs WLP566 Belgian Saison II Yeast[/SIZE]

I'm planning on dry hopping with some Mandarina Bavaria and have read around this forum at people recommend a rate of 1g per L as a good guide for dry hopping. I don't want the hops to be too overpowering here as I'd like to still get all the yeast character. I'm not overly experienced with dry hopping, so have no idea if 1g per L is a mild dose or a crazy AIPA dose.

Any thoughts, advice? I'm frothing to drink this thing.

Cheers

:D

1g per L is a good starting point.
Admittedly not a massive dry hopper but I wouldn't be going for much more for this kind of brew.

Taste before you hop and ascertain if it needs it.

Have never added any hops to a saison inside of 30 mins as i like the yeast to drive the flavour. Will be interested to hear how it goes.

1g/L sounds good to me. I recently brewed a Saison (Wyeast 3711) that had 28g of Amarillo thrown in for a 30min hopstand at 77C. Similar effect to dry hopping. Not a classic Saison but the beer tasted awesome (yeast spicy phenolics and fruitiness complemented with new world hops) and was good enough to win a local comp!

Thanks for your thoughts. I think I will dry hop it, but might scale it back a bit so it's only subtle. I don't want to mask the yeast flavour.

Update: Not loving it. Went a bit warm during mash so it's a bit too malty for the style. That mandarina bavaria hops is full on too. I decided not to dry hop following my first taste and am glad i didn't. Next time, I'll go for something a bit less intense.

Further update: this beer just got unreal! Must have needed extra time in the keg to settle. All the flavours have balanced and it's fantastic. What a relief!

Latest posts

Back