Driving Melbourne To Sydney

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingPython

Reaction score
So I'm driving Melbourne to Sydney and was wondering if there were any worthwhile brewpubs, breweries or home brew shops along the way?

Melbourne to Sydney:
9 hours door to door.
Leave around 6am, arrive around 3pm before traffic becomes mayhem.
Don't stop, eat chocolate instead of drinking coke so you wont have to piss an hour after you fill up.
Nothing in the middle.
Hollbrook (sp?) (big submarine - nothing else) is almost exactly half way.

Wilbier

It would be down right unaustralian not to vistit the Ettamogah pub :icon_cheers: Just off the Hume Hwy Albury-Wodonga, you can't miss it

Divert via Canberra for a beer at the Wig and Pen. Try your luck at Picton at Scharer's little brewery. Then follow Picton road down to Wollongong for the new beers by the new brewers at the 5 Islands (under the Wollongong Entertainment Centre).

Ugh, save the Canberra breweries for when you're unlucky enough to have to go to Canberra.
[Flame suit on]

That said, the George Harcourt Inn (Tudor Pub next to Cockington Green at Gold Creek) had Old Speckled Hen on tap, the last time I was there.

Tarcutta, about half way - the pub has decent, cheap meals. Only the standard range of beers though. Carlton Black the pick.

Thanks for the replies. No solid plan as yet I have relatives in Canberra so I might drop by.

Holbrook. Absolutely brilliant pie shop on the right.

Im not a fan of this drive. Especially the Albury to Goulburn stretch of continuous road work :angry:

Maybe Red Hill brewery, off Hume & not far out of Melbourne? Worth visiting if you haven't before.

Also, last time I was in Sydney I bought some St Peter's long necks. Never seen them before, but bought a stout and a lager when I saw them in the bottle shop. Very worthwhile. Went back for more of both.
Think they may be around the west of Sydney (is there a town called St Peters?). Found mine in the gigantic Golden Barley hotel (Enmore).

Cheers
Paul

Im not a fan of this drive. Especially the Albury to Goulburn stretch of continuous road work :angry:

Maybe Red Hill brewery, off Hume & not far out of Melbourne? Worth visiting if you haven't before.

Also, last time I was in Sydney I bought some St Peter's long necks. Never seen them before, but bought a stout and a lager when I saw them in the bottle shop. Very worthwhile. Went back for more of both.
Think they may be around the west of Sydney (is there a town called St Peters?). Found mine in the gigantic Golden Barley hotel (Enmore).

Cheers
Paul

Red Hill isn't exactly on the drive to Sydney...it's on the peninsula.

Maybe you mean Holgate? Woodend is just off the calder...not the hume though.

Red Hill isn't exactly on the drive to Sydney...it's on the peninsula.

Maybe you mean Holgate? Woodend is just off the calder...not the hume though.

:lol:

No one take directions from me! Red Hill is NOT off the Hume. I have Red Hill on the brain since a colleague here told me she was heading that way for Xmas.

Don't mean Holgate either. I'm up there a bit, as it's handy to the Marsh.

I meant the Tooborac Hotel brewery. This is a brew pub, sort of. They have a couple of "custom brews", made to their spec off site.
Had a chat with the staff when I was there and they were (maybe still are) building their own brewery out back....so not strictly a brewery yet, but it is a good pub and worth dropping in. They are on the right track.

St Peters is Sydney inner west. Not on the way to Sydney. If you see it, you're already there.

The Bright brewery and the one at Beechworth (Bridge Rd??) are nice detours off the highway if you're not in a hurry (although Bright's only open Fri - Sun)

Did the Melb- Sydney-Melb drive too many time to forget.
Canberra pubs and Bottle shops are out of the way.....
since you got rello's there ...why not...

Did Frankston- Sutherland in 10 Hours with 1 fuel/piss stop.
I Recall it took us 18 hour to get home. Silly place to be in Holiday season.
Good luck if you don't intend to get up early or drive by night.

I meant the Tooborac Hotel brewery. This is a brew pub, sort of. They have a couple of "custom brews", made to their spec off site.
Had a chat with the staff when I was there and they were (maybe still are) building their own brewery out back....so not strictly a brewery yet, but it is a good pub and worth dropping in. They are on the right track.

:icon_offtopic:
so they still haven't managed to fire up the old Bendigo rifle brigade brewery..

so they still haven't managed to fire up the old Bendigo rifle brigade brewery..

Bendigo rifle brigade?! Had a great day there once after a Bombers game. Was mega brew man back then.

I was at Tooborac about 2 months ago. They could be done now? Good spot for lunch as well.

Latest posts

Back