Drinking Sierra Nevada Torpedo And Disappointed.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why go through all the trouble of insisting it's only shipped in refrigerated containers, if they're purposely going to send down some inferior product?

That makes no sense at all.

That makes no sense at all.

128845058099832231.jpg

I've had a SN Torpedo in California and it tasted the same as the ones I buy from Dans. Great beer.
Funny. I bought a sixer in California ($9 at 7-Eleven) and tipped 5 of them because they were cloying as OP describes.

Anyway, if you're ever in the States - don't do this test for yourself. Grab some great beers instead.

Funny. I bought a sixer in California ($9 at 7-Eleven) and tipped 5 of them because they were cloying as OP describes.

Anyway, if you're ever in the States - don't do this test for yourself. Grab some great beers instead.

OMG. Now we have SN Torpedo snobs.

VB .... you had your time in lights. It's over.

If you don't like SN Torpedo when it's fresh, you have SHIT TASTE. Or a bum for a mouth.

If you go to the States and can't find a better AIPA you only bought one beer.

Don't get me wrong - it is amazing compared to Australian AIPAs. But you probably like those. There's only two I can think of I enjoy (Hop Hog and Icon) and I've stated here numerous times that one of them doesn't even qualify, IMO.

It should also go without saying that Nick is a cockhead. Don't listen to him.

[EDIT: rogue parenthesis]

If you go to the States and can't find a better AIPA you only bought one beer.

I found quite a few worse AIPAs actually. Considering you can buy Torpedos at the corner store it's a supurb beer for an American Megaswill.

If you think it's a bad version of an AIPA then I'm afraid you are probably showing your hand here. Carry on.

it's a supurb beer for an American Megaswill.
Yep. Anyone expecting anything else should be disappointed and anyone who thinks it is anything else can safely be ignored. Don't get me wrong, they're a tremendous and imprtant brewery and must have been pretty amazing in the context of the 70s/80s market but it seems to me that they've been left behind.

If you think it's a bad version of an AIPA then I'm afraid you are probably showing your hand here. Carry on.
I don't recall saying that, cockhead. And, yes, I am showing my hand. I did that in my first post. You can read it if you like.

funny thing is nobody is getting gushers with the sn beers.im guessing they would have had a lot worse treatment than any four pines or murrays beers but no gushers just faded and flabby flavours. its time breweries in aus stopped blaming poor tranport and look closer to home for an answer to theyre problems.

Are you for real?

Seriously?

or just really, really misinformed?

Or do your work for woolworths or coles......

dont work for either, but why can i not get a good beer that isnt infected or a gusher from four pines murrays or redoak or grand ridge or so on with them being constantly excused by the poor transport out clause yet when i have had grey imports from usa such as stone sierra nevada lagunitas or even russian river, wich have been in a stinking hot container that has been over the equator several times , never a gusher severly oxidised most of the time sure but not infected or gushing. so where am i misinformed? am i missing something? what about bottle conditioned belgians? again long journeys bottle conditioned but end result is mostly oxidation not infection.same can be said for the british imports ive had. lets even look closer to home little creaures ive never had a gusher and they are certainly in the dan murphys supply chain. ive never had an infected or gushing feral beer either and i love hop hog and buy it regularly. so why is it that certain breweries have constant problems and others in the same supply chain do not. i support the local micro brewers as much as any one but am also sick of hearing that infections are caused by bad transport. they may be made more apparent but if the beer is bottled clean in the first place we would not see this happening.as i stated maybe these breweries should look closer to home and stop taking the easy out by blaming tranport for all of theyre woes, seriously.

Not disappointed at all. The last one I tasted was similar to my latest Amnesia APA. I love it when that happens!

This thread reminds me of the "JS Golden Ale isn't what it used to be" thread of a couple years back.

i support the local micro brewers as much as any one but am also sick of hearing that infections are caused by bad transport. they may be made more apparent but if the beer is bottled clean in the first place we would not see this happening.as i stated maybe these breweries should look closer to home and stop taking the easy out by blaming tranport for all of theyre woes, seriously.

You're on the money... all comes down to clean packaging. Poor/rough handling is not a cause for gushers... only a catalyst to make it become more evident.

I had one of there pale ales a friend got from Dans. Honestly i thought it was shit. I may need to try another...?

i got a carton of torpedo (asked toe wife ot get a me 6 pack) and really enjoyd it.

But that was when it was first realeased..... may have got lucky

Yep its like playing lotto buying beer at dans.
I have bought both the pale and torpedo and they have been good for me, that was also when they first came out.
Tasty, clean and well balanced beers. No they are not smack you in the face with aroma a flavour and big chewy malt.
I have had some really fresh Aussie micros then bought the same beer a month later and its fizzy, bland and sometimes gushing.
I dont bother buying other imports any more from dans as they are all partially or completely oxidised.
Dont really bother buying beer that often period, my location makes it hard, would rather spend the $ on making another small batch of something i have not made yet. If i have to il buy LC pale from local woolies liquor, never had a bad one, always pretty good aroma and flavour not carb problems.
I think LC set a pretty good standard for craft beer or boutique beer in Australia in terms of consistency and quality with a decent range.

torpedo is a nice beer. it's the best beer you can buy in dan murphys by a long way. it's definitely not the best IPA in the states. hops are nice, but where it could be better IMO is in the malt body. it's just a bit too simplistically crystal malty and short on the palate.

BUT for 24$ a six pack it's about the same price for one bottle of a good US IPA (lagunitas etc) from platinum cellars.

re the gushers etc i agree totally that aus breweries are the only ones with infections. the situation's much better than it was 10 years ago where 1 out of 2 aus micros were gruesomely infected. however i've never had an infected beer from murrays or redoak? the worst culprits are usually the victorian country micros...

Back