Drinking Sierra Nevada Torpedo And Disappointed.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:( so, we have gone from a bad few bottles to no more supply :angry:

Heh they could always could go to 1st Choice....

My last visit to Dan's Albany Creek had a pyramid of SNPA up front by the registers with some big promo signage. Out of curiosity I checked the cold storage and found only the usual crates of sun-baked mega-swill suspects. Not even Little Creatures, which also has a note on the label to "keep cold" could be found in there. The only cold SNPA/Torpedo/Kellerweiss was a 6-pack or two in the display chiller.

Curious as to whether anyone has actually tried complaining to DM management about the way they keep their beer and been brushed off or whether it's all just assumption? I just tried to find an email contact but 'website is experiencing high traffic at the moment. Please try again later"

So I will.

I doubt much will come of it but surely it's worth it to see what the response is?

I know that phoenix are quite concerned about this, but as has been previously stated, once they deliver the stock refrigerated, it is out of their hands.

Be very interested to hear the results manticle.

Hi,

Dan Murphys has a reputation for carrying a very good range of Australian and international beers.

However, it is often suggested that the beers themselves are mishandled (particularly in regards to refrigeration, pallets left in the sun etc) which can lead to the beer being spoiled and/or oxidised. Some craft beer lovers I know prefer to shop elsewhere as a result.

Does the company have a policy on storage and handling of beer or plans to implement one so that people's experience of various beers is not marred by poor handling?

Many thanks

Andrew

Will see what response I get. Hopefully I've worded it clearly enough.

Curious as to whether anyone has actually tried complaining to DM management about the way they keep their beer and been brushed off or whether it's all just assumption? I just tried to find an email contact but 'website is experiencing high traffic at the moment. Please try again later"

So I will.

I doubt much will come of it but surely it's worth it to see what the response is?

A while ago, I bought a carton of Little Creatures from Dan Murphys, got it home, put it in the fridge, chilled it, opened one, tasted it, and then said WTF?? Checked the use by, about 2 months past. Let it slide, as it was still drinkable, but not great. Next time i bought a carton from there, same thing again. So I called them up and complained. "Hold on to it and we will give you a call when we get some new stock in". That was nearly 2 years ago, so I'm glad I didn't hold my breath. Makes we wonder how long there stock sits around for. Must taste really funky by now.....

I'm in the ambivalent category. I took all the precautions picking one from the back of the refrigerated section etc but yeah not exactly mind blowing. Little hop aroma, little hop flavour but the beer was well-balanced and did not taste like wort. It's hard to know if it didn't make the trip well or it's just hype. I mean it's exceptional on beer advocate.
Well a $5 bet I won't take again.

Well besides the automated "we have received your query...." I've got no response as yet.

I'll post here if that changes but currently we are looking at an organisation that doesn't give a rat's arse about the state of their beer and how it's perceived. Odd they even bother selling it if that's the case.

Local Dan's I occasionally buy from doesn't even keep High stock turnover like Corona refridgerated, no chance for craft beer or something a bit special.
As mentioned previously, Boycott Dan's and support the local guys doing the right thing.

Simple - dont buy from Dans. They are cheaper than other bottlos for a reason - they move massive stock. And something has to give (quality).

But the convenience! I can't wait for slowbeer to open again.

Well besides the automated "we have received your query...." I've got no response as yet.

I'll post here if that changes but currently we are looking at an organisation that doesn't give a rat's arse about the state of their beer and how it's perceived. Odd they even bother selling it if that's the case.

And they replied. Take it or leave it but at least they read it and didn't just provide an automated response:

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Over the last few years we have implemented DCs across Australia in order to deliver to our stores 3 to 4 times per week and this eliminates the need for us to leave beer outside, as these deliveries are received straight from the DC into the stores. There have been occasions during busy times, such as Christmas where sometimes pallets are outside for a short period time, however we try to ensure that this does not happen. This is not just for beer, wine and spirits are also delivered through our DCs

At Dan Murphys we strive to make every shopping experience enjoyable and appreciate your enquiry as it allows us to ensure we continue to meet our customers expectations.

Were pleased to receive your enquiry and would like to thank you for shopping at Dan Murphys.

Kind regards,

Dan Murphys Customer Service Centre

Phone: 1300 72 33 88 (option 3)

Email: [email protected]

That's true. Maybe I should have been more specific in that regard.

I might shoot them another email and see. They say they aim to answer within 24 hours but this took about 4 working days. Still it's a response.

They didn't really address the fact that it is not refrigerated in store...
I don't know- I expect the usual line of having limited refrigeration space etc. Has anyone tried returning beer saying it wasn't up to scratch? Maybe that's the only way they'll listen.

I don't know- I expect the usual line of having limited refrigeration space etc. Has anyone tried returning beer saying it wasn't up to scratch? Maybe that's the only way they'll listen.

I have once - Chimay that was rubbish oxidized sherry, i was going back to the same area the next day ( 2 hour round trip)
otherwise i would have returned all my shit dans beers. I poured the beer back in the bottle through a funnel.

Anyway they were happy to swap it for another, which when i got home was also shit.

They are owned by woolies and anything woolies you can generally take back without any questions asked.
I do it all the time at my local woolies, with prices as they are for food and alcohol these days if it aint up to scratch back it goes.

Funny though i have never had a bad beer from the woolies liquor attached to the supermarket...

Bought a six pack from the local Dan's last week cannot say I was impressed slight aroma and a good bitterness but nothing to get excited about. Not like my all time fav Brewdog Punk IPA. They only had two bottles in store so not even a four pack to buy.

Back