Hoprocket Torpedo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJR

I'm out
Reaction score
Based on something i wrote in here: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=886464

I finally got around to it, brewed up the base pale ale on the weekend which was a Amarillo/Nelson Sauvin/Cascade brew, with something close to my normal hit of 70% Joe White Pils, 20% Wey Vienna, 5% JW Wheat and 5% Wey Carahell, single infusion 66C. Was the first time using 1056 liquid instead of US-05, which to my tastes is a little nicer but not different enough for the extra $10. Hop wise was about 15g bittering@60, 30g aroma@15mins and 75g at whirlpool. Quite a lot but not obscene - 35IBUs.

I digress. Tonight I put together the hoprocket, put some Nelson Sauvin flowers in it, and ran my beer through a pump and into the hoprocket, then back into the fermenter. Very similar to what Sierra Nevada do with the Torpedo.

Beer was at about 1010 SG so fermentation is mostly finished, started around 1048

I took pics, here is the filling of the hoprocket, was about 20-25g of NS flowers :

IMG_4657.jpg

with the Brown pump doing duty off the fermenter tap, not on yet, outlet going straight into the hoprocket with a valve to control flow

IMG_4659.jpg

The return line back into the fermenter out of the hoprocket:

IMG_4662.jpg

Turned it on after opening the ball valve to clear out air in the lines and fill the hoprocket

Beery goodness in the return line, after switching on

IMG_4663.jpg

Stopped it about 5-10 mins in to have a taste, was definitely noticeable. Ran it for another 20 or so mins, quick turn upside down and let a bit of air in through the valve got most of the beer back out. Wasn't on full through the valve, was running it about 25% open, it's a reduced bore valve so not a huge amount of flow. Probably the order of about 1L per min.

Beer was pretty good to start with, but is really nice and resinous now, no grassiness from dryhopping I guess because I wasn't running it that long.

Next time i'll probably run it for longer, use some different hops (might try to get some new NZ/Aus flowers from this coming harvest) and possibly cut back on the whirlpool hops.

One thing i noticed was using a pump on beer that was kinda carbonated made it a little flat as there was some stirring up, and to run it longer i'll have to seal up the hole in the top of the fermenter a little more so it's safe from airborne nasties.

The hops afterwards still smelt/felt like they had a lot of lupulin left over, but i didn't want to extract every gram of that, i'm happy with how it turned out really after only 20 mins or so, would be interesting to see how much more could be had with 1 hour or so or maybe even some pellet hops

Great work.

Pellets though wont work with the hop rocket as I found out the hard way...

Based on something i wrote in here: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=886464

I finally got around to it, brewed up the base pale ale on the weekend which was a Amarillo/Nelson Sauvin/Cascade brew, with something close to my normal hit of 70% Joe White Pils, 20% Wey Vienna, 5% JW Wheat and 5% Wey Carahell, single infusion 66C. Was the first time using 1056 liquid instead of US-05, which to my tastes is a little nicer but not different enough for the extra $10. Hop wise was about 15g bittering@60, 30g aroma@15mins and 75g at whirlpool. Quite a lot but not obscene - 35IBUs.

I digress. Tonight I put together the hoprocket, put some Nelson Sauvin flowers in it, and ran my beer through a pump and into the hoprocket, then back into the fermenter. Very similar to what Sierra Nevada do with the Torpedo.

Beer was at about 1010 SG so fermentation is mostly finished, started around 1048

I took pics, here is the filling of the hoprocket, was about 20-25g of NS flowers :

IMG_4657.jpg

with the Brown pump doing duty off the fermenter tap, not on yet, outlet going straight into the hoprocket with a valve to control flow

IMG_4659.jpg

The return line back into the fermenter out of the hoprocket:

IMG_4662.jpg

Turned it on after opening the ball valve to clear out air in the lines and fill the hoprocket

Beery goodness in the return line, after switching on

IMG_4663.jpg

Stopped it about 5-10 mins in to have a taste, was definitely noticeable. Ran it for another 20 or so mins, quick turn upside down and let a bit of air in through the valve got most of the beer back out. Wasn't on full through the valve, was running it about 25% open, it's a reduced bore valve so not a huge amount of flow. Probably the order of about 1L per min.

Beer was pretty good to start with, but is really nice and resinous now, no grassiness from dryhopping I guess because I wasn't running it that long.

Next time i'll probably run it for longer, use some different hops (might try to get some new NZ/Aus flowers from this coming harvest) and possibly cut back on the whirlpool hops.

One thing i noticed was using a pump on beer that was kinda carbonated made it a little flat as there was some stirring up, and to run it longer i'll have to seal up the hole in the top of the fermenter a little more so it's safe from airborne nasties.

The hops afterwards still smelt/felt like they had a lot of lupulin left over, but i didn't want to extract every gram of that, i'm happy with how it turned out really after only 20 mins or so, would be interesting to see how much more could be had with 1 hour or so or maybe even some pellet hops
Very slick looking setup, like the use of the Brown pump. What is the elbow fitting off the intake ?
Nev

Very slick looking setup, like the use of the Brown pump. What is the elbow fitting off the intake ?
Nev

It's the blichmann bling elbow connectors. Really nice if a little pricey, about $20 and the straight one is $15 locally from Ibrew. They are well thought out, they are in 3 pieces, with a silicone o-ring at one end so you don't have to massively thread-tape everything, and you can pop the center piece out for cleaning.

Only thing i don't quite like on them is the barbs aren't that wide, which means hose clamps are a good idea

http://www.blichmannengineering.com/quickc...onxtfitngs.html

It's the blichmann bling elbow connectors. Really nice if a little pricey, about $20 and the straight one is $15 locally from Ibrew. They are well thought out, they are in 3 pieces, with a silicone o-ring at one end so you don't have to massively thread-tape everything, and you can pop the center piece out for cleaning.

Only thing i don't quite like on them is the barbs aren't that wide, which means hose clamps are a good idea

http://www.blichmannengineering.com/quickc...onxtfitngs.html
Yep nice gear and a bit exy but ........
I agree the barbs are not exactly gripping.
Its SS or chromed brass? Sorry I didnt read the fine print.
Nev

Hmmm, this looks sweet!!. Might have to make my own poormans version haha.

Back