Drill For Monster Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis

Official keg inhaler
Reaction score
Got myself a 3 roller monster mill and have it mounted on a board to go on a 20L bucket. Need to make a hopper yet.
My small cordless drill that runs the marga mill with no probs wont even budge this thing with just a few grains sitting on it.
My corded drill will run it but tooo fast
Any ideas on a drill, corded or not, that will have enough torque for the job at a slow enough speed.

Got myself a 3 roller monster mill and have it mounted on a board to go on a 20L bucket. Need to make a hopper yet.
My small cordless drill that runs the marga mill with no probs wont even budge this thing with just a few grains sitting on it.
My corded drill will run it but tooo fast
Any ideas on a drill, corded or not, that will have enough torque for the job at a slow enough speed.

Mantis,

I would love to have the space for a dedicated milling setup but have used my 1\2" Bosh GSB18-2RE corded impact drill (600w & 650\2000 RPM & adjustable) long before I got my three roller Cranker around 4 years ago & it turns the mill over without any problems at all. A little exxy but you get what you pay for & it's been excellent around the house as well.

TP

I bought a variable 2 speed Ryobi from Cash Converters for $30 about 3 years ago. Set to low speed I use a reusable Zip Tie (Bunnings Gardening dpt) across the pistol grip and trigger to set the revs.

Screwy

I use an 18V cordless to drive my 2 roller monster - set to low range, flat out. I'd like to go a bit slower.. but it chews through the batteries too fast. At higher speed it does a single batches worth on one battery.

Probably not enough grunt for a three roller though.....

You can reduce the resistance by having a narrower infeed slot - you mill with less of the "width" of the mill and therefore have less resistance. Takes longer to mill of course but might make the difference between being able to run with a given drill ??

Also - if you get it spinning before you tip in the grain, that might get it going too.

I'm using a Ryobi 18v cordless on its low gear 350rpm to run my MM2. I get about 30kg of grain through the mill from 1 charge. As ThirstyBoy said reduce the feed size and you could get by with lower amounts of torque.

QldKev

Thanks, I will go check out the local hardware stores today. :beer:

An Ozito drill from Bunnings has a step down gearbox and variable speed, so works really well.

I got an old papershredder and turned down one of the drive shafts, perfect at around 100 rpm for my crankandstein three roller.

Ended up getting a Bosch PSB 700-2 RE which has two gears and variable speed.
Will come in handy around the house as well :icon_chickcheers:

harden up and just use your hand. Don't even need anything on the shaft, I turn the millmaster with just the shaft in my hand all the time. :unsure:

naw, I use a motor to do it for me :rolleyes:

But seriously, a crank handle isnt too bad, krudd bought me a motor and pulleys though, now it's just too easy.

You should be careful doing anything with the shaft in your hand :p

I am resurrecting this old thread, as I am getting old and am tired of grinding my grains with a hand crank.

My mill is a CrankandStein 3d - 3 roller mill. My current cordless drill is not up to the task of grinding grain with this mill, so I was wondering if anyone can advise of any low budget options? I do not mind if the drill has a cord or not, just want to do it on the cheap.

If all you want is a mill motor then Google Shopping - Product not found
if you think you will use it as a drill then for $20 more https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-1050w-spade-handle-drill_p6290522
Planetary gear box, and adj speed, I run mine at about 150rpm (3 roller) it wont go much slower.
The cheaper version does not have a chuck, the stirrer 14mm thread screws into the end of the drill, I just cut it off at about 150mm, and used a 14mm to 12mm spider coupling from ebay (my mill has a 12mm shaft)
If you go with the chucked version (it's 13mm) then a piece of steel rod the same size as you mill shaft and a spider coupling and you're done.
fwiw I've mounted mine on a board, dead easy as the drill has threaded holes all over it for different handle positions.

I'd go with the spade handle drill Grmblz linked too. Didn't realize my quick search version wasn't a version with a chuck on it.

You can use most drills on low if they have a dual speed arrangement, I use an old Black & Decker 18v cordless direct onto my 2 roller el- cheapo mill, works fine. But if you want a budget flex coupling, use a short length of hose of appropriate size and stiffness, scuff up the shafts a bit with a file for grip, and tie wire or hose clamps the hose to each shaft end and your in business. Simple and effective and cheap!
Try malt conditioning, it works great and you only need a 2 roller mill.

You can use most drills on low if they have a dual speed arrangement, I use an old Black & Decker 18v cordless direct onto my 2 roller el- cheapo mill, works fine. But if you want a budget flex coupling, use a short length of hose of appropriate size and stiffness, scuff up the shafts a bit with a file for grip, and tie wire or hose clamps the hose to each shaft end and your in business. Simple and effective and cheap!
Try malt conditioning, it works great and you only need a 2 roller mill.

Thank you for your advice Grok.

I already have a Crank & Stein 3d, and do not really want to spend money downgrading to a 2 roller. My 18v cordless does not even try to turn the mill with grain in the hopper. I could possibly try malt conditioning, as I note that in a separate thread it has other benefits too. (less stuck mashes & sparges. I really like this idea!) I could also try narrowing the feed into the mill to reduce the pressure on the rollers...

Having said this, I just popped into Bunnings a few minutes ago and bought the spade handle drill mentioned above. I will let everyone here know the results after I mill my next batch of grain. I will likely try the malt conditioning as well since I plan to brew a very big beer.

Thank you everyone for your advice!

Last edited:
Back