Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Mill motor/drill for Mashmaster grain mill

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by welly2, 31/10/16.

1. welly2

Posted 31/10/16
    Recently updated to a Mashmaster grain mill (early christmas present to myself) - in the past I was using my Ryobi 18v cordless drill driver on the old Keg King mill. Worked a treat. First run of the new mill with my Ryobi drill and I've got to say, the drill struggled a bit. It got really hot and I had to let it cool down.

So, looking for something a bit beefier. I did look at the Motion Dynamics mill threat and while it does look the business, I don't have the time/space/inclination or, and this is the main problem, technical ability to put together a rig for that having looked at everyone else's rigs. So looking for something else. Probably just another drill to be honest. Can anyone who's got a Mashmaster mill suggest anything?

Cheers!

2. BKBrews

Posted 31/10/16
    Off topic, but where are you based and do you want to pass on the Keg King Mill?

3. welly2

Posted 31/10/16
    Oh that's gone now. Sorry!

4. Rocker1986

Posted 31/10/16
    I use a Bosch cordless drill driver on mine, set at highest torque and low speed, does the job well and doesn't get overheated. I crush the grains pretty coarse though which may have an impact as well.

5. Engibeer

Posted 1/11/16
    Motion dynamics really is piss easy to assemble mate, and doesn't take long at all. I used to use a Makita electric drill on my mashmaster, so noisy rattling the mill rollers. I think in the long run your mill bearings will thank you for having a proper motor set up.

6. Engibeer

Posted 1/11/16
    And consider the long term time savings when you can fill the hopper and go and do something else instead of crouching over a drill... Cleaning etc (or in my case occupying a 2yr old)

7. pcqypcqy

Posted 2/11/16
    I noticed something similar with makita 18v cordless, the new brushless models don't have the same torque as the old ones. The old one could start a petrol engine, the new one just stalled.

For this sort of application a corded power drill would probably do the trick, a cheapy from bunnings or something.

8. Frag_Dog

Home Page:
    Posted 2/11/16
  9. Matplat

Posted 2/11/16
    I bought a second hand drill press for $50 and used the motor from that. Not for a mashmaster though.

I posted a thread on it here

10. welly2

Posted 2/11/16
    You might be right! I'll have a think about it but might have a bash with the Motion Dynamics.

11. pat_00

Posted 2/11/16
    I'm using the Ozito spade drill. Works fine, but I am going to change it around to have a coupling though at the moment the drill chuck is directly on the drive shaft.

12. Moad

Posted 2/11/16
    Keg king motor here... No dramas in a year or so except for the coupling which I'm just too lazy to fix

Draft saved Draft deleted