Mill motor/drill for Mashmaster grain mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welly2

Reaction score
Recently updated to a Mashmaster grain mill (early christmas present to myself) - in the past I was using my Ryobi 18v cordless drill driver on the old Keg King mill. Worked a treat. First run of the new mill with my Ryobi drill and I've got to say, the drill struggled a bit. It got really hot and I had to let it cool down.

So, looking for something a bit beefier. I did look at the Motion Dynamics mill threat and while it does look the business, I don't have the time/space/inclination or, and this is the main problem, technical ability to put together a rig for that having looked at everyone else's rigs. So looking for something else. Probably just another drill to be honest. Can anyone who's got a Mashmaster mill suggest anything?

Cheers!

Off topic, but where are you based and do you want to pass on the Keg King Mill?

BKBrews said:
Off topic, but where are you based and do you want to pass on the Keg King Mill?
Oh that's gone now. Sorry!

I use a Bosch cordless drill driver on mine, set at highest torque and low speed, does the job well and doesn't get overheated. I crush the grains pretty coarse though which may have an impact as well.

Motion dynamics really is piss easy to assemble mate, and doesn't take long at all. I used to use a Makita electric drill on my mashmaster, so noisy rattling the mill rollers. I think in the long run your mill bearings will thank you for having a proper motor set up.

And consider the long term time savings when you can fill the hopper and go and do something else instead of crouching over a drill... Cleaning etc (or in my case occupying a 2yr old)

welly2 said:
Recently updated to a Mashmaster grain mill (early christmas present to myself) - in the past I was using my Ryobi 18v cordless drill driver on the old Keg King mill. Worked a treat. First run of the new mill with my Ryobi drill and I've got to say, the drill struggled a bit. It got really hot and I had to let it cool down.

So, looking for something a bit beefier. I did look at the Motion Dynamics mill threat and while it does look the business, I don't have the time/space/inclination or, and this is the main problem, technical ability to put together a rig for that having looked at everyone else's rigs. So looking for something else. Probably just another drill to be honest. Can anyone who's got a Mashmaster mill suggest anything?

Cheers!
I noticed something similar with makita 18v cordless, the new brushless models don't have the same torque as the old ones. The old one could start a petrol engine, the new one just stalled.

For this sort of application a corded power drill would probably do the trick, a cheapy from bunnings or something.

I bought a second hand drill press for $50 and used the motor from that. Not for a mashmaster though.

I posted a thread on it here

Engibeer said:
Motion dynamics really is piss easy to assemble mate, and doesn't take long at all. I used to use a Makita electric drill on my mashmaster, so noisy rattling the mill rollers. I think in the long run your mill bearings will thank you for having a proper motor set up.
You might be right! I'll have a think about it but might have a bash with the Motion Dynamics.

I'm using the Ozito spade drill. Works fine, but I am going to change it around to have a coupling though at the moment the drill chuck is directly on the drive shaft.

Back