Draining Craftbrewer BIAB Bag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My CB bag is fine. I burnt a hole in the first one I had. I bought a replacement again from them and haven't had a problem. Regards Chris

The original ones were hard to drain, but I believe CB switched to a different material years ago. Maybe you bought old stock at the time?.

IMHO the best "bag" is a circle of voile from Spotlight, hemmed, and hoisted with a hangman's noose. No seams, dead easy to empty out and clean.

ed: my two are coming up 7 years old and still look brand new.

Mine's been fine too. I have two of them now because I tore a small hole in the first one so I use that for boiling hop flowers now. However, I haven't had any problems with that one or the new one draining. Mind you, my brew days are pretty relaxed, easy paced days so I also have no problem with stringing the bag up above the urn and leaving it sit there for 20 or 30 minutes to drain out while I go and have a beer or something. Only difference I've noticed is bigger grain bills take longer to drain. I do squeeze it before totally removing it and the grains are damp but not soaked in wort.

Couldn't fin my circle of voile on the weekend and so used my 'old' CB bag for the first time in years. I had forgotten why I stopped using it. I was brewing a double batch and the bag was practically water tight! Hoisting out 12kg of grain along with 30+L of water was not fun...after hanging it there for about 20 minutes I recke 3-4 litres had drained out....I ended up dumping the whole lot in a 50L Nally bin and scooping the wet grain into sieve over a bucket 1 litre at a time!! PITA :angry: . Have now thrown the bag in the bin and heading back to spotlight!

Yeah I have used probably a newer CB Bag, I think the only time I have had issues draining is when I had like 20% oats in a stout, but considering when I pulled it out it was like a cake of grains and oats.
It worked great for the last couple of years I have been using it, letting it drain for a few minutes on an oven rack over the pot.

Latest posts

Back