Double Mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whirlflock is Carrageenan and Dispersant (the part that makes it Whirl- not just flock) so when people weigh one that's worth remembering, I always use a 1 whole tablet in ~25 L wort. Good rule of thumb would be if you doubled the gravity to double the dose.

That said its really far too complicated to be precise (not just for home brewers) all advised doses come with a caveat to determine exact doses by in house trials, fine if you're doing the same beer over and over again.

This is a very worthwhile read View attachment 41737 and there is some very good stuff here at the IBD (the wort boiling sections are relevant).

MHB

Thanks for the links. Will make interesting reading when I'm less tired. Skim read the first but need to come back to it. Second looks chock full of goodies.

I found this part interesting "As collagen possesses a high degree of structural order, it is temperature sensitive and is denatured at moderate temperatures into gelatine which has little or no fining activity."

And every time I post that crap from the supermarket isn't the same as real finings, I'm a retarded money grubbing retailer *******, trying to make you pay extra. So I won't say that.

Mark

Next time I bottle I'll do a couple of clear PETs with and without some gelatine, take some photos and lets see how the cow sits in the cabbage patch

Yee har.

Actually I found isinglass to be very effective but a bitch to store and prepare and smells like cat food treats.

My double mash batch of strong lager (20L) is now in the fermenting fridge at 12C with two packs of S189 and no almost headroom, so a cleanup is probably in order tomorrow or the next day when the Krausen Monster from the Deep awakens.

I'm going to bottle half of it as is and dilute with deoxygenated water the other half to 4.5% alc - I'd like to see how it holds up taste-wise doing commercial-style high grav stuff.

What are the possible flavour changes associated with high grav? Any pitfalls I should be aware of?

And every time I post that crap from the supermarket isn't the same as real finings, I'm a retarded money grubbing retailer *******, trying to make you pay extra. So I won't say that.

Mark

Just don't get you at all, can't contribute jack to the forum, except maybe - Ohhh look at me look at me aren't I great; I can hang a ball in a keg - like that's hasn't been done a dozen times before.
FYI there has been a discussion going on regarding the relative merits of every imaginable fining for as long as I have been a member. Probably a lot longer, a bit of self deprecating humour regarding a long held and often stated opinion and you have to jump in make it personal.
Tempting as is it to get into a slanging match I'll just leave it at; you know yourself better than anyone else does and chose a very appropriate name!
MHB

MHB, thread wandering way off course, so whatever....... in view of the reported huge success people have with gelatine finings - which of course have their downside as well such as 'fluffy bottoms' when added at bottling stage that negates most of their usefulness in that particular instance - are you saying that gelatine as such is not an effective fining agent? I see that that PDF, which is good reading, is really 'unsourced' and I wonder why they say that gelatine has little fining effect when so many brewers would differ vehemently.
Of course I can't imagine CUB backing up a gelatine truck to the brewery but at our scale of brewing it's always worked just fine (oops pun) for me, and that's why I'll do a side by side with a gelatined bottle when I bottle off next week, with photos.

Cheers

that's why I'll do a side by side with a gelatined bottle when I bottle off next week, with photos.

Cheers

I was interested in having a go at something similar. It was a homebrew shop owner who told me not to buy the finings and just use gelatine instead and to the best of my knowledge they seem to work. However I also CC and leave brews in secondary for a bit so clarity could come from elsewhere. I've had clear beers just with CC.

I'd be interested in fining one glass with quality HB finings (probably from grain and grape), 1 with davis or similar and 1 with nothing and seeing what difference if any, I can see. I realise it's not a foolproof scientific investigation but it will help to satisfy my curiosity.

Sometimes gelatine works too well and I have almost no yeast in the bottles.

I'm not a retarded money grubbing retailer *******, trying to make you pay extra.

Exactly my point Sometimes there are lots of different gelatines some work as finings some dont, I wouldnt choose a yeast that might work, or a malt that might be well modified, same in this case.

Mark

I always found that the good old Davis Gelatine works better than no finings at all. That's racking warm beer onto a solution in the secondary then throwing it in the fridge.

These days I go for fish guts, when I remember to use finings. Making some hazy beer lately so need to start fining again

Don't mean to be the thread Nazi but...

:icon_offtopic: :icon_offtopic: :icon_offtopic: :icon_offtopic:
I thought this was the Double Mash thread not the relative-merits-of-various-finings-sold-at-LHBS-or-elsewhere thread.

My 45 Double D mash is tasting like mother's milk!

I'll be interested to see what FG you get down to. High FG was one of the things I was worried about if I had to use a big pile of extract.

I'll be interested to see what FG you get down to. High FG was one of the things I was worried about if I had to use a big pile of extract.

I'm not usually too worried about FGs but I'll measure it for you if you'd like when it gets there.

I had a feeling you might say that Nick! Don't worry about it mate, I'm going to give it a try regardless.

Cracking this method out today for my strong Belgian ale. Will report exact process and results this evening.

Sorry about bringing up an old topic. I was just wondering what kind of success people are having with this method. I am using a 40l urn for biab as well and want to get the most out of the system without really relying on adding DME. I have tried pushing it with about 7.1kg of grain to 32l of water, but that pretty much blew me efficiency to about 58% (into fermenter).

Latest posts

Back