Double Mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi darryl

I've tried this method and it works OK. I made a barley wine with a 10kg grist split into 2.

My preferred method though with large grists is to do a more of a 2v type thing. Mash in with the whole grist and half the water. Then drain into a bucket or pot and batch sparge with the remaining volume to get to your pre boil volume. Hoist bag and combine runnings and boil away.

Advantage of double mash is you only have to lift half amount of grist at a time, only need one pot. Disadvantage takes longer and lower efficiency.

Cheers

Sorry about bringing up an old topic. I was just wondering what kind of success people are having with this method. I am using a 40l urn for biab as well and want to get the most out of the system without really relying on adding DME. I have tried pushing it with about 7.1kg of grain to 32l of water, but that pretty much blew me efficiency to about 58% (into fermenter).

A good dunk sparge will go a long way to improving your efficiency on the big grain bills

A good dunk sparge will go a long way to improving your efficiency on the big grain bills
I guess what I was suggesting Stux was a "reverse dunk sparge" (I reckon I have invented a new brewing term :lol: ) . Saves having to lift, carry around and poke into a bucket 10kg + of wet grain. Many ways to skin a cat i guess.

Latest posts

Back