Don't Try This At Home

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozpowell

Reaction score
Put this one down to experience. Thought I'd share with others so as to spare them the pain.

I normally keg my beer (that's my excuse for being so stupid, anyway). However I've just recently finished a batch of Barleywine that I intend to lay down for 12 months or more, so I decided to bottle this batch instead. I remembered reading somewhere that keeping the head-space in the bottles as small as possible would minimize oxidization of the beer as it ages. So, given that these beers are keepers, I figured I'd better try to keep the head-space as close to zero as possible (in fact, most bottles had exactly zero head-space).

That was my first mistake.

My second mistake was to bottle my beer straight out of the CC fridge (at 3oC).

Roughly half an hour after finishing my bottling I heard a loud "crack" coming from the bar area. Bottle number one down. At this point I hadn't figured out that the bottle broke because the liquid had expanded in the bottle, and stupidly put it down to a dodgy bottle. Clean up mess...

Next day, two more. At this stage I know it isn't the bottles (the bottles were all from different sources and were different ages). But I also know it can't possibly be infection or over-priming - there's no way that within 30 minutes, sufficient CO2 could build up to break a bottle.

That night it dawned on me what the problem was. And after re-capping all of the bottles, surprise, surprise, no more exploding bottles.

Moral of the story - always leave at least a little head-space when bottling, especially when bottling cold. :)

Latest posts

Back