Don't Like Lagers, What's Wrong With Me?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyleg

Reaction score
So i've been a beer enthusiast for a few years now (I'm 23). Been brewing for the past 6 months AG, and have been experimenting at the bottle shop for the past few years with all kinds of beers. But for some reason i just really can't get into lagers, granted i don't try them alot because im fairly sure i won't like what i buy. I have had a really nice eisbock, think maybe a last drop seasonal, cant remember now. but most other lagers for some reason i just cant get into. I remember seeing some people going on about the mac's hop rocker pilsner on here, so i tried it but it just didn't do anything for me. Does any one else suffer from this? Generally i favour pale ale, amber ale, ipa, porter, stout. generally prefer american styles too. i would like to brew a lager as i know alot of non beer drinkers are used to lagers and don't care much for ales (wierd). Can anyone suggest some good lagers to try, or am i not missing out on a great deal?

So i've been a beer enthusiast for a few years now (I'm 23). Been brewing for the past 6 months AG, and have been experimenting at the bottle shop for the past few years with all kinds of beers. But for some reason i just really can't get into lagers, granted i don't try them alot because im fairly sure i won't like what i buy. I have had a really nice eisbock, think maybe a last drop seasonal, cant remember now. but most other lagers for some reason i just cant get into. I remember seeing some people going on about the mac's hop rocker pilsner on here, so i tried it but it just didn't do anything for me. Does any one else suffer from this? Generally i favour pale ale, amber ale, ipa, porter, stout. generally prefer american styles too. i would like to brew a lager as i know alot of non beer drinkers are used to lagers and don't care much for ales (wierd). Can anyone suggest some good lagers to try, or am i not missing out on a great deal?

I think most craft beer lover would generally prefer ales over lagers generally because there isn't quite as much variation in flavours but generally if I have a lager in the heat of summer or if I get a nicely hopped beer such as harviestoun's schiehallion is better enjoyed closer to ale temperature..... but for good lagers i would go for a german pilsner such as weinstephaner or imported carlsberg which has a nice banana yeast flavour.

I'm with you! I can't get into Lagers either. I have tried many but still don't like them much.

+1.75c

Really good ones are good though (ie. fresh PU -not from Dans)

I see where you are coming from and can say I do feel the same.

But, don't just think lager and imagine light-coloured and minimally flavoured beers. I am by no way a connoisseur of beers, but there are a few lagers that have changed my mind.

Short list from my own tasting: Knappstein Reserve Lager, Sam Adams Bostomn Lager, Brewdog Zeitgeist (most schwarzbiers I love!), Brewdog 77 Lager. There is many more but you get the idea. Also with any craft beers, especially lagers, fresh is better.

IMO of course! :)

If you ever go to Bamberg or surrounds you will never be the same...........

I personally enjoy and brew a lot of lagers, like schwarzbier, munich dunkel, Czech and german Pilsners. But if you don't like them, don't force yourself to drink them.

To adjust one of the above statements: Life's too short for beer that you don't like to drink.

As for brewing lagers for your mates: From what I've heard a lot of 'ale brewers' apparently find it difficult to brew a decent lager on first try. Don't waste your time and resources unless you feel up for the 'challenge', just buy some commercial beer for your mates for when they come around or tell them to bring their own.

Personally I don't think it's any harder then brewing ales though, just echoing what I seem to read here a lot.

Fresh is best. Though, i enjoy not likeing every single style... Otherwise i would have no favs in my drinking hours. I just want to try them all :)

Hmmm fresh p/u... that was a good day. Makes me want to go back right now.

4e2eb.jpg

Yum yum

Fresh is best. Though, i enjoy not likeing every single style... Otherwise i would have no favs in my drinking hours. I just want to try them all :)

Hmmm fresh p/u... that was a good day. Makes me want to go back right now.

4e2eb.jpg

Yum yum

Fresh lagers?How do you do this miracle?

lol at 6 week lagerings...i can have 8 batches of CPA out the door in the same time, all using teh same cube...but that would be a bit boring after the first keg

oh, and don't worry about the hop rocker - macs was bought by (can't remember...insert megabrewer here) and now it has all gone to shit...a few years ago they had it at the local - tried - liked - didn't see it again. asked them to get it in and they did, but geez it has had a worse dive than the fat yak

srsly, it was like this :icon_vomit: :icon_vomit: :icon_vomit: :icon_vomit:
then i had a TED!

ps i wish i could get all those vomiters aiming for the one vomitee

Same age, similar tastes... but love my lagers. Something clean, crisp, and easily drunk to make way for the next one. Sometimes you just want a subtle beer for having a sip on in the stinking heat up in the shed, or after mowing the lawn.. whatever.

Hell, sometimes you just want a lager.

Having said that, somtimes you'd much rather an ale! :D

Cheers - boingk

Just to be fair. I do like a lager, once in a while. Due to my taste for it, it'd be a waste of my time brewing it to keep on tap.
Besides that, most lagers tend to be pretty bland. Looking for a good lager when out is like looking for a needle in a haystack at most times. Ales on the other hand.... On average, always tastier than lagers. Even if all they got is CPA or fat yak. I hate the effort required to find a good lager in this country's pubs, hotels. Another place...different story.

Went to the German Club for the 1st time and was gob smacked at my dislike for Lager styled beers. Sorry, clean & crisp aren't main attribute I look for in a beer.
Happy to keep sitting out the back of the Archive and let their draught rotation of APA, IPA, Stouts and the like keep me determined to brew something as classy.

I always prefer ales over lagers. But I enjoy a good bohemian pilsner, a dunkel, schwarzbier, marzens, maibocks and of course Oktoberfests!

yeah im not a lager fan either i like ales and hoppy ones especialy.

I don't like wheat beers. I try them occasionally if I think there's a really good one just in case they grow on me. No luck yet. Happy to stick to everything else - there's enough great beer in the world that you don't need to worry about a subset that you don't enjoy.

As for brewing lagers for your mates: From what I've heard a lot of 'ale brewers' apparently find it difficult to brew a decent lager on first try. Don't waste your time and resources unless you feel up for the 'challenge', just buy some commercial beer for your mates for when they come around or tell them to bring their own.

Personally I don't think it's any harder then brewing ales though, just echoing what I seem to read here a lot.

What you're making for your mates, doesn't have to be a lager. A clean, light flavoured (go light on the specialty grain & late hops) ale fermented with an American Ale yeast (WY1056 / WLP001 / US05) at 17-18c would be close enough to a lager character wise for your non beer nerd mates.

Back