Don't Like Lagers, What's Wrong With Me?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I often do lagers as quickly as ales - maybe a day or two longer.

S189 at 12C is done in a week. 4 days of finings and into the keg. Clean as a whistle.

My favourite with this "fast lager" gig is a 50:50 boh pils and german pils and 50:50 saaz and hallertau to 28 IBUs. It's a ripper.

nothing wrong with not liking lagers. except for a few exceptions the main one being rauch beer i dont go for them either.but if you want to get shitfaced drinking bucket loads of inoffensive beer, really there is nothing better. hence the success of the mega brewers of this world.

Inoffensive like Zyviec Baltic porter or aventinus weizeneisbock?

'I'll have an offensive beer please barkeep'.

'Here's a big glass of **** you and the horse you rode in on buddy. After that a pot of pisschrist and you'll be on your way'.

:lol:

Don't Like Lagers, What's Wrong With Me?

Not everyone likes the same beers, otherwise we would have just one beer world wide.

Seems straight forward to me, I don't like wheats.......hell what's a matter with me? :lol:

I don't like Smurto's golden ale. Brewed it AG twice and wasn't impressed. What's wrong with me? (FWIW I think it's the Amarillo I don't like...)

Since no one has done it yet :)

E_lager_boy.jpg

I don't really care for lagers either. I don't mind some dark Czech lagers but I think they'd probably taste better to me if they were made with an ale yeast anyway. I was mostly underwhelmed when drinking in Germany, even Bavaria. Yeah they do lagers well, but they're still lagers. Belgium and their ales on the other hand...

When you brew you're own you are spoilt for choice; limited by your imagination. Ales capture my interest more, and the temperature and times are much more convenient.

I love lagers and I love ales, I am not a big fan of wheat beer, dark beer or saison (can drink them but will have a hoppy ale or smooth lager first). From a man that used to hate beer you are lucky I have got that far!

Is Aventinus a lager!?!?!? I must be blind and my taste buds must be shot! + I must be dumb.

I just don't consider dark lagers as lagers. Sure, they are brewed with lager yeast and lagered. Doesn't mean they have much in common with the typical 'lager'. to club them in the same category as say... PU, stupid. Besides, I can't recall the last bar I was at that served dark or strong lager. Pale ale was on tap though. And another in bottles.

For a dark lager, it would actually be worth brewing those. There is only so much bock one can drink at a time. Definitely lasts longer than a keg of PU clone..... By contrast, a keg of wheat or pale ale or saison will be gone wayyyy quicker. Next quickest will be the ambers and IPAs. For me, at least.

And in interest of sheer economy, if 2 pints of 6% beer will get me pissed, wtf would I bother with 5-6 of 4% yellow water.

Mate, disagree totally about the volume thing. As it's getting warmer I'm starting to really prefer drinking more, lower alcohol beer. Also, that's not really a fair equation. 2 pints of 6 percent beer should be the same as 3 pints of 4 percent beer.... not 5-6....

That's a silly method of reasoning, also. It's like me saying, I dont consider stouts to be ales because my favourite ales are Racer 5, Dales Pale Ale and Little Creatures Pale Ale. Defining ales and lagers is purely about the strain of yeast involved (minus california common and kolsch...) Just because you don't like classic lager styles (or shitty australian versions) doesn't mean a lager isn't a lager....

I just don't consider dark lagers as lagers. Sure, they are brewed with lager yeast and lagered. Doesn't mean they have much in common with the typical 'lager'. to club them in the same category as say... PU, stupid.
Going by that, how could you put a german wheat beer, a black IPA and a Koelsch in the same 'category'? All three are ales, but so different from each other. Same applies to lagers.
Lager and ale are just the broadest 'categories', that's why beers are classified into many sub categories and styles.

:icon_offtopic:
aiming for next weekend ;)

I have tasted some award winning Pilsners at the old club competitions. Don't care for them. Just an odd taste to me.

If you do not like them don't drink them. Keep sampling as some day your taste may change.

I love a good lager. Dont get into megaswill but will gladly take one for the team if im at a mates place and its all he's got.

How did that quote go?.....'never bitch about your mates choice of free beer, but feel free to complain if the temperature is unsuitable'.

I hate wheat beers with a passion. I hate guiness and guiness knock offs. I dont mind porters, not something id choose at a bottle shop but ill happily drink one.

I love things like pilsner urquell, trumer pils, pale ales, IPA's, massively hopped beers etc...

I can freely go from a delicate balanced lager to something like a punk IPA and back again and be happier than a pig in shit.

+1 to the comments regarding knappstein reserve lager and brewdogs 77lager. Both of these are excelent beers in their own right but also good gateway beers from ale to lager. Youd swear you were drinking ales with either of these beers. Knappstein was the beer that gave me a constant boner for new zealand hops, and brewdog offering im positive is the same hop bill but overall smaller amount to the punk ipa. It is to my tastebuds anyway....same just toned down a little (lot).
If you dont like lagers, definitely try those two.

Always been more of an ale man, but in Vienna in July, I came to see what the fuss is about. Don't have my notes in front of me ($%#%^ - lost my phone last week), but several fantastic flavorful but quaffable lagers.

Personally, I don't have space for a brewing fridge, so I've pretty much stuck to ales.

Totally agree - life is too short to drink beer you don't like.

2c,
T.

I brew mostly ales, until the hot and humid summer when you can't beat a good lager or pilsner. You wouldn't drink a stout on a hot day would you? or would you? :huh:

Batz

On the OP.

Kyle G,
No one likes everything.
I have found that by learning about different styles of beer, to understand and better appreciate has meant I like some beers more and others less. In the end there's nothing wrong with you, you like what you like, and let yourself change as you explore beer. Most beers I drink these days are dark ales of various varieties, which 10 years ago I would noy have contempted, but I still love Lager!

Fear

Ah... What we're getting at is perhaps that most generic lagers are rather unimaginative and boring. Aimed to be clean, cleaner and desperately trying to be the cleanest.
Of course there are even ales that fall in the ^ above category. Rather smaller range though isn't it. Besides that, I'd still drink a good pilsner. Blue Sky's pils is rather good. But every time I get a lager I get the feeling I could've drunk something tastier. Funny comment re stouts :p I had one on a hot hot day last week. Mmmmmmmm.
Belgians do the low bitterness malty category so well. Low hop taste and yet taste great. There's only a handful of lagers that can go light on hops and still be worth mentioning. Ales.. You have an entire category of them - Irish reds, Belgian strong ales, weizens, scotch ales. I can go on. Low hop lagers worth drinking again and again, malty Bavarian and Austrian lagers. Haven't really found any others yet. They're all too afraid to make lagers with fuller malty tastes. Tbh, I don't exactly go for IPAs that much. Boring- bitter, bitterer and dying to be the bitterest. Fuckall subtle tastes. There are some really good exceptions though. Tasted some harppon IIPA that my good friend lugged back from the USA, beautiful beer. Really well balanced. Basically, sick of mine is bigger/cleaner than yours' beers. Mountain goat hightale for me, on a hot hot day :)

Back