Does clear glass bottle affect the taste of brewed beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are what you drink though, right? Gotta love those IIPA drinking vampires :lol:

ed: speil

manticle said:
The first part is relevant if talking about skin cancer etc - my take on it comes from an understanding of the latter.

I'm postulating only but if there is exposure to light and the beer is in clear bottles then there is a risk. If there are bad flavours in said bottles that might be reasonably associated with light strike and the light exposure is in the fridge or kitchen, theoretically it might be possible. A hop differs from a human in its vulnerability to UV.
Of course - the second part also goes on to say that acrylic sheets are used to protect paintings. If this is the case surely glass (or even the colour of the beer?) would be enough to deflect any light.

Considering the light in your fridge would only be on for a few minutes a day, the light exposure would comparatively be less than drinking a beer on the veranda.

Most of the "clear" and "Ice" etc beers are "Tetra"-hopped which isn't affected by lightstrike.
I think Corona is traditionally hopped and I have definitely had a few skunked ones. Maybe that is the real reason for the lemon/lime in the neck of the bottle...

manticle said:
The first part is relevant if talking about skin cancer etc - my take on it comes from an understanding of the latter.

I'm postulating only but if there is exposure to light and the beer is in clear bottles then there is a risk. If there are bad flavours in said bottles that might be reasonably associated with light strike and the light exposure is in the fridge or kitchen, theoretically it might be possible. A hop differs from a human in its vulnerability to UV.
Then, theoretically, it would be OK to bottle your beers in clear glass, as long as you did the "Slip-Slop-Slap" with each one with an SPF 30+ goop & tell it to drink plenty of fluids & get into shade between 11am-3pm??

I'm surprised nobody has referred to a rubbish podcast yet,

damoninja said:
Of course - the second part also goes on to say that acrylic sheets are used to protect paintings. If this is the case surely glass (or even the colour of the beer?) would be enough to deflect any light.

Considering the light in your fridge would only be on for a few minutes a day, the light exposure would comparatively be less than drinking a beer on the veranda.
Taken from material supplier site (http://www.pmma.dk/Acryl_kontra_glas.aspx?Lang=en-GB). I'd say these protective acrylic sheets are specially made with a UV filter. Not standard acrylic. Both glass and acrylics don't "deflect light", they let most of it through as per the below.
  • Light transmittance
    Glass has 90% light transmission, for acrylic it is 92%.
  • UV light
    Standard acrylic allow as opposed to glass UV light to pass. Acrylic sheets can also be delivered with a UV filter.

To cover all your bases (upcoming pun intended), you could wrap your bottles in paper bags. I bottle in champagne bottles (dark green at best) and wrap them in paper bags if I'm giving bottles away. I got them from a master butcher's supply place (~$20 for about 100 - or maybe you can buy some from a friendly bottl'o)

damoninja said:

The acrylic used to protect art is UV resistant, not just any acrylic.

And yes - hopped beer in the sun in clear glass is much worse than a fridge light.

MartinOC said:
Then, theoretically, it would be OK to bottle your beers in clear glass, as long as you did the "Slip-Slop-Slap" with each one with an SPF 30+ goop & tell it to drink plenty of fluids & get into shade between 11am-3pm??
Um.......................

yes

After a lot of hard work testing various beer bottles in that batch, we have come to the clear (albeit hiccupy) conclusion that it is indeed the clear bottles that causes the funny taste. Only using brown bottles from now on for home brewing - the clear bottles have been transferred to the bottle craft section of the shed for cutting.

I always cringe when I see people on gumtree selling their brewing equipment that comes with "Six cartons of corona stubbies! These are perfect for homebrew".

No wonder they are selling all their gear.

jyo said:
I always cringe when I see people on gumtree selling their brewing equipment that comes with "Six cartons of corona stubbies! These are perfect for homebrew".

No wonder they are selling all their gear.

They drink these at my work. I always get offered them to reuse, I gladly accept and cash them in next recycle run.

Incidentally, almost all light sources output UV radiation in some degree.
Whether it's a candle, a fluro, an old tungsten filament globe or halogen light.

While you can get LED lights that specifically output UV in a fashion similar to 'blacklight' lamps, I'm not sure whether LEDs that are set to output a 'daylight' or 'warm light' colour temperature output UV radiation.
If I could be bothered doing the research, I'm sure there's specs on it somewhere in the sphincternet.

They drink these at my work. I always get offered them to reuse, I gladly accept and cash them in next recycle run.

Dam SA's and your recycling perks.

Back