Does Biab Make Extract Redundant?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But Partial Mash is the biggest waste of time known to humanity. If you are going to go through that effort, why not take maximum control and really nail it.

My massive caveat in this - AHB is a massive resource of information - it wasn't around all those years ago. It makes the learning process more accessible, and the ability to bridge between K&K and AG a great deal easier to navigate.

Also, more AG-centric HBS add to the accessibility of AG and BIAB - both in terms of grain access, and good hops. We've all been there, done that with stale 12g packets that cost $5.

If I'd known about BIAB back then and had access to the necessary ingredients, I'd have switched pretty well immediately after putting down the first few kits.

So he answer is - yes, extract, as a bridging step is probably redundant, but only because information and ingredients available now, that weren't as readily accessible a few years ago.

Goomba

I'd disagree with partials being a waste of time, I did partials for a couple of years and made some really good beers using up to ~50% grain. I did this for space reasons and time. I could do a small mash in a small pot with a relatively small boil with equipment that I had in the kitchen. Now I'm doing all grain beers and they're better, but partials filled a gap that suited at the time.

Partials are better than extract beers but I got a lot of experience out of my ingredients during this time before tripling the amount of grain in my brews.

So this is a long way of saying that I don't think BIAB is the end of extract beers. There is still a fair bit more effort in mashing that some people might not want to go down that path.

cheers

The real point was actually made that on the well worn path

K&K -> K&B -> extract -> AG

The extract step is obsoleted by BIAB and is an expensive way to make beer

So....

You agree then??

Funny stuff!

OT, of the few Extract beers I did, they were by far the most expensive beers I have made. LDME isn't cheap, bulk bought BB Ale or even imported Weyerman grain, is!

As for the cost of equipment.... It's a hobby, it makes beer. Win win IMO. When buying new gear or ingredients, I always use the analogy of:

Think how much it costs to own and run a boat...

Then sit back and RDWHAHB

:icon_cheers:

Nev

hmm - that doesn't bear a hell of a lot of resemblance to what I typed. Some, but not a lot. Dont know quite what happened there, I wasn't pissed or anything which would be the normal excuse for that sort of gobbledegook - just some glitch in the lectronics. Removed due to making no sense at all - but yes, I was agreeing.

I certainly agree with MHB about it being an easier and more reliable way to get good results if you just man up and buy a big pot/urn and go with "standard" BIAB - but having said that, when you look at what people like Nick and Raja are able to do, making full size batches on their stovetops with small pots... it really does take out almost all the reasons for partial mash. BIAB is easier and cheaper than partial mash extract brewing, the beer is better, and if you need to you can make fine AG beer in small pots on your stove - so cost of equipment and space aren't reasons anymore.

No critisism of people who have done it in the past, it made sense in the past - but now, now I really cant see any circumstance in which I'd suggest that someone should go the extract/partial mash route.

I reckon extract is pretty obsolete. Started knk then knb then 12 ish L batches with the bigw pot. After half dozen brews went to urn and kegs. Would advise noobs to do a few 19 L pot brews first up just to make sure it is what they really want to do. Really no cost involved.
Probably can split brewers into two rough camps.
Those that want cheap easy to make stuff, and they wont want to pay the estra above knk
Those that have a passion for brewing, and they arent going to pot up with the limitations of extract.
Just my thoughts
Cheers

I reckon extract is pretty obsolete. Started knk then knb then 12 ish L batches with the bigw pot. After half dozen brews went to urn and kegs. Would advise noobs to do a few 19 L pot brews first up just to make sure it is what they really want to do. Really no cost involved.
Probably can split brewers into two rough camps.
Those that want cheap easy to make stuff, and they wont want to pay the estra above knk
Those that have a passion for brewing, and they arent going to pot up with the limitations of extract.
Just my thoughts
Cheers

I want cheap, easy to make stuff... but i want it to taste good too. Thats why i BIAB! :)

hmm - that doesn't bear a hell of a lot of resemblance to what I typed. Some, but not a lot. Dont know quite what happened there, I wasn't pissed or anything which would be the normal excuse for that sort of gobbledegook - just some glitch in the lectronics. Removed due to making no sense at all - but yes, I was agreeing.

No critisism of people who have done it in the past, it made sense in the past - but now, now I really cant see any circumstance in which I'd suggest that someone should go the extract/partial mash route.

I was wondering if thirsty boy was VERY THIRSTY 8)

I can see why someone would do a partial mash. The reason is because when they take the first sip of that partial mash, they will be converted to add more of that delicious grain/malty flavour.

tnd

No it's not obsolete, based on everything that we do; confidence and competence. U have got the confidence to start something, but quite possibly not the competence to achieve it, this desire drives us to go forward/backwards, but the bottom line is, there is a drive.
Add into that the learning curve: yeast, temp control, the basic concept of how the brewing works, it's a big ask to expect people to take all this on board whilst getting on with their daily grind.
We all learn in our own way, so the various ways to achieve the end product are still viable, though the transition period maybe shorter.

I believe what BIAB achieves is a shorter transition to AG brewing, because it removes a step/skill, lautering, thus enables a fast track. This in addition to a smaller capital outlay (use of existing kitchen/domestic equipment) makes it a more attractive option.

But this is but my 2 cents worth.

Latest posts

Back