Doc's New Brew Haus

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did you run the ethernet in a separate bit of conduit, or was it with the mains feed?
hopefully separate.
having them too close together can upset the connection, and high current switching can fry the network card.

CAT6 or Fiber FTW! :beerbang:

Although i know best practices state you should avoid running near power, CAT6 should do the job.

There are two separate conduits running from the house to the brauhaus.
One has the power, and the other the data.
There are 3 x Cat6 runs, 1 x coax and 1 4-wire run for the alarm sensor.

The sparkies were back yesterday and have almost completed the job. Looking pretty schmick with power outlets and circuits for Africa.

I've also got the tiles in behind the tubs, and just have to do the grouting. Sparkies are back to finish the job next week, so I can finally almost see the light at the end of the brauhaus :p

I got them to put in an outlet under the brauhaus to plug in a controller etc for some LED RGB Strip deck lighting. Anyone have any experience with that ??
Have also been looking for a decent Wall Extractor fan. The issue is the walls are solid (no cavity) and only 34mm thick. A lot of the fans have a min spacing of 110mm. Also looking for a model that is almost silent and has shutters that close (or damper etc) so that when not in use I don't get airflow through it.

Doc

Its been a while since I was installing them, but from what I recall, the same units were suitable for either wall or window mounting, therefore something in between like your 32mm wall should be fine.
That was 17 years ago, and in another country, but I would imagine they would still be similar.

If your sparky kept a fair distance between the power & data you should be fine. Conduit does absolutely nothing in the way of stopping interference. Electrical interference is caused by a magnetic field which increases proportional to the current flowing in the cable. Think of your stirplate where the magnets are under a plastic cover. Does the plastic stop the magnetic field? No, neither will a piece of conduit, it is purely for mechanical isolation.
No real need to worry anyway. The reason that cat 5 has twisted pairs it to overcome any interference. Kinks in the cable cause more problems than interference. The coax should be right too (quad shield from memory), especially if you are running a digital tuner rather than analogue as they are alot more forgiving.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Gregor

Today is the day.
Sparky is back to finish the job. They originally quoted 1.5 days. Two of them have done two full days, and one guy is back today to finish the job.

Have tiled behind the bench tubs, mounted the loaner tv from my sister, and tested the HDTV over Cat5 distribution unit. All is working great.
Once the sparky has finished I'll know where I can mount shelves etc and start getting it ready for pilot production :p

Doc

Here is one corner of the new brauhaus.
It is coming along nicely.

Hot and cold water, power, internet, foxtel, streaming music etc etc.
Fridges in an running. Have kegs in one, bottled beer in another and using the third to help keep the temp of my yeast starters on the stirplate under control (esp during hot summer days and cold winter days).

The TV was a hand me down from my sister. When I find a right priced larger version there is room to upgrade.

My Dad has also built another deck on the side of it. Fingers crossed I'll give it a work out this Sunday arvo/evening with its first brewday/night.

Doc

CornerBrewshed.jpg

Don't like it Darren....

Terrible setup...
</sarcasm>

Amazing setup mate.

Brewed the first beer in it today.
Did a double batch 100% Wheat beer (wheat, dark wheat, crystal wheat and choc wheat) for the Local Taphouse Darlo brewshare next month.

Doc

Brewed the first beer in it today.
Did a double batch 100% Wheat beer (wheat, dark wheat, crystal wheat and choc wheat) for the Local Taphouse Darlo brewshare next month.

Doc

Fantastic new brewery Doc, but a christening of double Wheat beer.

Batz

Do you know how much we all hate you Doc?....

:p

Nice work mate, really jealous. If I had a setup like that I'd quit my job and live in it!!! Don't tempt me mate, don't tempt me....

Cheers!

Fantastic new brewery Doc, but a christening of double Wheat beer.

Batz

Doc

1 month on, tell me you have brewed something other than Wheat beers in the brew hou's? How is the brewery going, beter than expected? Anything you would change?
I am trying to get a brew shed just devoted to beer, no lawnmowers or wheel barrows but negotiations with SWMBO are still happening. Maybe next year.
Any pics of your brew days? You are giving me big ideas about my own build.

Drew

Here is one corner of the new brauhaus.
It is coming along nicely.

Hot and cold water, power, internet, foxtel, streaming music etc etc.
Fridges in an running. Have kegs in one, bottled beer in another and using the third to help keep the temp of my yeast starters on the stirplate under control (esp during hot summer days and cold winter days).

The TV was a hand me down from my sister. When I find a right priced larger version there is room to upgrade.

My Dad has also built another deck on the side of it. Fingers crossed I'll give it a work out this Sunday arvo/evening with its first brewday/night.

Doc

Looking terrific!
Just a thought. It could be useful to raise the GPO's and extend the tiled splash back along the bench?

That is one of the coolest things Ive ever seen in my life. I would give anything to have a set up like that. I'm assuming with a brauhaus that impressive the beers will be tasting that much better?

That's frigging awesome, I bet you've got one hell of a Cheshire grin on your mug :beerbang:

What was councils opinion of running water/sewage/electric to a kit cabin in the backyard?

I am very interested in this as we are building and the covenants where we bought specify "no sheds". So I lose by 6mx9m brewery and go back to brewing in garage. I was planning on having an extra area built as part of the garage, but I really like the look of what you are doing here!

What was councils opinion of running water/sewage/electric to a kit cabin in the backyard?

I am very interested in this as we are building and the covenants where we bought specify "no sheds". So I lose by 6mx9m brewery and go back to brewing in garage. I was planning on having an extra area built as part of the garage, but I really like the look of what you are doing here!

I can't comment on Doc's situation, but I can say that local council where I am are extremely painful to deal with when it comes to outbuildings. I would imagine that most councils would be hesitant to rubber stamp certain plumbing fixtures in outbuildings as they seem to be paranoid about creating separate "livable" dwellings. I'm

Having said that I'm doing a large free standing shed in my backyard which has a bathroom in it. I got some resistance over that, but I can imagine they would have gone into lockdown if I'd showed a little kitchenette in there.

Short answer would be to try and come up with a room that is "attached" to the house in some way - then you could argue that it's not an outbuilding, but an addition to the current dwelling. That would most likely require a separate development application and another round of money handed over to the local administrators.

Sorry - dragging Doc's thread off topic here. Feel free to send me a PM if you want any more info.

Benniee

I thought I read that there was no approvle needed if 20sqm or less.. and I know that was the case in another council area just west of Syd recently ..

cheers

It's only 9sqM here in Gero before you need to have it council approved. Too small for what I want to put in it. On the form there was no area to say what you were putting in it, (IE water, power) just what its intended purpose was.

Doc's brewhaus has us all green with envey by the looks of things.

Drew

Back