Do you use hop bag when dry hopping or boiling?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi I am confused, I watched a video on line of a guy who dry hopped a beer actually while in the fridge - so not even heat involved. Yesterday I chucked in the hops at flame on a boil of the malts for a kit. Forgot to put in the bag ..urggh... But I have seen a lot videos where just people chuck in, no bag. I assume they may filter after, or does hops just settle to the bottom like the yeast? I do notice if I keep a yeast from a brew that has been hopped, it always settles to bottom quite quickly... Then I was reading about about someone triple filtering after dry hopping..?

cheers

If you chill after ferment the hops will settle out. I have used yeast cake after this and it was no good so I use a stocking or tea ball. Dry hopping into a cold beer is no problem, I do it in the keg at 2or so degrees and it's great. Alcohol will pull out the hop flavour, that's why you can run a cold beer through a container of hops and get amazing taste. I have filtered before too but it's hard not to aerate and the filter needed 4cleans during the kegging.

Hope that helps

Happy Friday!

Thanks - So do you use hop bag in the fridge..

What do you mean yeast cake is no good, are you talking about reusing the yeast and hops is in it?

I actually re-used some yeast with a small layer of hops in it, and as ok... Its in the beer so I cannot see an issue?

I keg hop so hop bag or stainless tea ball infuser thing when beer is in fridge

If you want to re-use yeast then keep the hops of the yeast with a bag, stainless tee ball etc

If you have hops floating around in a keg during ferment then chilling it after FG is reached will drop the floaties out of suspension including the yeast. Or filter but a bit of fecking about.

Nothing wrong with throwing in hops commando in a small hop boil. Just use a fine strainer to pour the wort into the FV afterwards to strain them out.

I brew AG in an urn so it's a bit different. Although it's not necessary in this case either, I do use a large hop sock for boil and flameout additions, which I've put 3 wire legs on to make it a spider of sorts. Works well for pellets, but it's too small for flowers; I'm gonna get a second grain bag for flowers - I'm actually gonna use the second grain bag for mashing grains and my current bag for the hop flowers since it has a small hole in it at the bottom.

Dry hopping it depends how lazy I'm feeling. Sometimes I drop them in commando, other times I use the stainless tea ball things as mentioned by droid. I don't re-use yeast cakes though so it doesn't really worry me if it gets loaded with a layer of hops.

The only I time I contain my hops is when keg hopping. In all other applications they are thrown in loose. It is vitally important that you throw them in with an air of nonchalance, it won't work otherwise.

droid said:
I do it in the keg at 2or so degrees and it's great. Alcohol will pull out the hop flavour, that's why you can run a cold beer through a container of hops and get amazing taste.
Any grass flavours with leaving it in the key for 2 - 3 weeks?

I suspend it Only 20cm or so in to the keg so it is in beer for a couple of days. It's easily out of the beer in 5 days

Lecterfan said:
The only I time I contain my hops is when keg hopping. In all other applications they are thrown in loose. It is vitally important that you throw them in with an air of nonchalance, it won't work otherwise.

Lecterfan said:

Back