Do You Use A Hose?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dicko72

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I do BIAB using a Crown urn and no chill.
As Im low on silicone hose I place the urn on a milk crate and run it in via a short hose.

The other night when I was running my Pilsner into my cube the hose slipped off and into the cube.
Looked a bit like a No chill version of a bottle of Tequila. :p

So I was wondering.... Are there any people out there who just run into the cube without a hose?

The tap is about 2 inches above the opening in my cube.
There would be splashing upon cubing, but minimised by the short fall.

Cheers,

D!CKO

Sounds to me like it would work.

IIRC Bribie G does, there's bound to be a few pics of it around here somewhere. Ah, here's one.
FWIW, before I had a tap and silicon hose on my kettle, when no chilling I would pour the whole lot through a big sieve which was sitting in a funnel in the cube. Plenty of aeration there, but the beers did pretty well in comps so I couldn't fault it from that aspect. Not ideal of course, but was adequate in the circumstances.

As far as I know, you want/need aeration before pitching the yeast, but once the yeasties have done their job, you are wanting to avoid aeration/oxidation at all costs.

Is this a correct assumption?

More specifically you want to avoid aeration at all times APART from just prior to and during the growth phase of the yeast.

Avoid where possible at all other times: when wort is being made, when it is cooling, when it is fermenting and when it is being packaged.

The whole hose thing is predicated (this word seems to have disappeared over the last few years along with "been there done that" and other short lived verbal fads, but I digress) on the idea that hot wort in contact with oxygen will cause hot side aeration and the brew will of course be roooned.

Maybe Pilsner Urquell were doing the wrong thing for 150 years cooling their hot worts in open cooling pans "coolships" with fans blowing onto them.

coolship_urquell.jpg

The whole hose thing is predicated (this word seems to have disappeared over the last few years along with "been there done that" and other short lived verbal fads, but I digress) on the idea that hot wort in contact with oxygen will cause hot side aeration and the brew will of course be roooned.

Maybe Pilsner Urquell were doing the wrong thing for 150 years cooling their hot worts in open cooling pans "coolships" with fans blowing onto them.

Sounds like I don't to use a hose!Sweet. One less this to clean and sanitise. Thanks folks.

There's a lot of things wrong with the idea that length of time of a practice makes it a good practice.

The idea of the brew being ruined if it splashes is pretty dogmatic- fermentation and wort production etc involves a huge number of various chemical reactions and pathways, some of which CAN (won't necessarily) have an effect on flavour stability etc, given the right conditions and time. It's not automatic - it's one of many factors.

One way of reducing some of the pathways that lead to staling is to avoid splashing outside yeast growth phase. Doing so won't automatically mean your beer won't stale and not doing so won't automatically mean it will, at least not to some individual's flavour perception. The effects of the various reactions also aren't instant so beer may be consumed well before anything becomes noticeable.

As with all things - it's your home brewery so you brew how you like. If you notice an issue, it's good to know what to relate it to. if you don't, then no need to change the practice.

'They've been doing this for 150 years' or 'I've never noticed an issue' does not negate the fact that splashing at the wrong time can send beer off more quickly than without, does not change the fact that it's easy to minimise splashing and does not change the fact that knowledge about processes helps you isolate and fix problems IF and when they should occur.

By the same token, someone observing something in lab conditions does not mean your beer is bad or needs to be made differently if it suits your brewery and your palate (or those of peers, comps etc).

I did the cunticle thing again I think. Oh well.

Latest posts

Back