Do you squeeze the grain bag after mash?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
timmi9191 said:
I prefer gently caressing the bag from top to bottom.. Do it several times in a rhythmic fashion.. If done right, guaranteed to drain the bag of all productive juices..
And here I was lamenting people doing the same joke over and over.

Not getting any better than that, guys. Innuendo is OVAH.

carniebrew said:
Depends what I'm brewing mate, but yeah, have being doing full volume partial mash and small volume AG brews for my pale ale style beers for a little while now.
Nice one man!

TowelBoy2013 said:
Just wondering how many squeeze the grain-bag after mashing and any info for or against squeezing.
I squeeze until "just before purple", then collect the drips and tip it into the boil.

Coopers squeeze - well press actually. Seen it. Met the Engineer who designed it. Part of their design brief was not to change the taste - had to sample many many products to ensure this. Lifes tuff sometimes.

Yeah never had a problem squeezing the
Glorious liquid from the bag, if ph and temp is good you won't have a tannin issue. Got to get all them sugars

Each one of those "curtains" in the machine is like a big BIAB bag. When each has been filled with the initial mash, there's a sparging manifold at the top that sparges the lot in situ, then the mofo of all hydraulic plungers squeezes the row of bags from the side to extract the very last of the goodness. Then I understand that the baggies open at the bottom and the almost dry spent grain falls out.

Frightening.

mash press.jpg

That's just one version, others are squeezed by hydraulic fluids surrounding an array of bags in a sealed container.

last time i squeezed the bag she slapped me.
but i been squeezing the bag in private, then got worried about tannins or something, then found this topic, and now i'm going to squeeze on, baby.
bit like milking a goat, really. heavy duty gloves are a must though, otherwise you burn your pinkies right off.
on the other hand, i was thinking something like a grape press. anybody gone down that kind of road??

I wear thick gloves and squeeze really hard
Gotta get all that tasty goodness out
Then I wrap it in some paper and put it in the bin

Oh, and yeah I squeeze my BIAB bag too

I squeeze my old bag.
Tannins would be chemical and squeezing is mechanical so don't see my old bag tanning anything from a squeeze or two.

Twist, twist,twist,then squeeze. Bag won't know what's hit it.

Twist, twist,twist,then squeeze. Bag won't know what's hit it.
And repeat....

Latest posts

Back