Do you squeeze the grain bag after mash?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ross said:
Slash, what are you going to do when a papers published saying this isn't best practise ;) :)
I'd probably continue to squeeze the grain bag, since "beer flavour" is pretty much entirely subjective, unlike other fields of study (just as an example, microbiology) which are entirely based on objective and repeatable science with inarguable fact-based conclusions. :ph34r:

I doubt I could even fit a decent sized batch in my 40 litre urn without squeezing the bag. I sometimes squeeze almost 10 litres out of the thing before the boil.

Good feed-back. Yeah I'm gonna start squeezing, been to scared to incase of tannins or off-flavours. But will be giving it the arse from now on.

I squeeze as well, I lift the bag out of the pot, let it drain a little and then dump it in my bucket in a bucket press - press and squeeze the hell of the bag, dunk sparge and do the same. Never had any bad flavours that I can tell.

Squeeze away!

I'm still trying to figure out how you'd get off flavours from squeezing a bag that has been removed from the wort only a few minutes earlier? Probably just heresay, from reading the above posts it seems like not one of the 'squeezer squad' has ever had problems doing it

I wouldn't call what I do 'squeezing' the bag, I've been using a crab cooker insert & once I hoist the bag I just press down on it with a potato masher until it stops dripping

From what I've read the myth started with tea bags. Apparently, if you squeeze a tea bag, it makes the tea taste bitter? Somebody somewhere connected "squeezing tea bag" with "squeezing bag" with "squeezing grain bag" and here we are with this thread.

I am a very firm bag squeezer. :ph34r:

The squeeze tannin thing is just bullshit that refuses to die. Funny how someone can claim something once and it just hangs around forever like the autism vaccine thing.

I squeeze the bag.

I also squeeze lumps of coal and turn them into diamonds.

No tannins in either case.

comic-party.jpg

I use one of the fridge racks out of my brew fridge sitting on top of the kettle, perch the bag on top of that, then use another fridge rack to squeeze down on the bag. Get a ton* of good stuff out.

* no, not literally a ton

I squeeze the bejeebus out of it. And I don't even believe in jeebus. Gotta get as much of the good stuff as I can. Doesn't seem to leave any nasties that I can taste.

Slightly OT - Carniebrew - Are you still brewing extract with grains or AG now? Not having a go, just curious.

Edit: Too many IPAs to spell

I squeeze then pour enough warm water through the grain to get me to my boil volume, then squeeze again.

I squeeze the hell out of the bag using a saucepan lid in each hand.

I prefer gently caressing the bag from top to bottom.. Do it several times in a rhythmic fashion.. If done right, guaranteed to drain the bag of all productive juices..

lukiferj said:
I squeeze the bejeebus out of it. And I don't even believe in jeebus. Gotta get as much of the good stuff as I can. Doesn't seem to leave any nasties that I can taste.

Slightly OT - Carniebrew - Are you still brewing extract with grains or AG now? Not having a go, just curious.

Edit: Too many IPAs to spell
Depends what I'm brewing mate, but yeah, have being doing full volume partial mash and small volume AG brews for my pale ale style beers for a little while now.

Back