Do You Filter Your Beer Through Fish?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Guy

Reaction score
Was asked this very question today by a patron. and my answer ..... no thats winemakers. Dont let the rspca know it may cause havoc.

Interesting side note the Egyptians did store beer in eel swim bladders to clear it before issinglass was discovered.

I work in a winery and its funny to see the looks on peoples faces when you tell them their wine was made using fish guts.... Priceless

Was asked this very question today by a patron. and my answer ..... no thats winemakers. Dont let the rspca know it may cause havoc.

Interesting side note the Egyptians did store beer in eel swim bladders to clear it before issinglass was discovered.
I have always wondered who was the bright spark that worked out that fish guts could have a beneficial use in wine and beer making and don't some of the the pommy real ales use isinglass finings still?

Yeh that stuff is pretty common in wine making. Nice and carcinogenic in a powder form

I have always wondered who was the bright spark that worked out that fish guts could have a beneficial use in wine and beer making and don't some of the the pommy real ales use isinglass finings still?

And who worked out that if you use eggs whites or skim milk you can remove unwanted phenolics etc. Very strange to think that someone just poured it in one day and presto it worked.

...or that the lining of the fourth stomach of a cow would turn milk into cheese. Or that you could express pregnant cows and consume the result, for that matter.

Let's not forget that gelatine finings is made from cows' hooves.

Best not to think about it..

Horse hoof always worked well for me.

In actual fact any high molecular weight protein will probably do the job.

I love to eat hot dogs too 8).

cheers

Darren

The brave soul who first opened an oyster and thought

"Yeah... I'll have a larrup at that"

still has to take the prize ;)

or that cow's guts could be used as tennis racquet strings

meh, best yet to me is the lucky bugger that soaked their bread in water and left it out in the open, and took a slurp of the resulting mush and found out it made them dizzy.

FTR Isinglass (from a fishies swim bladder) isn't just used in winemaking, a lot of english brewers use it to speed up clarification, particularly those producing real, cask ales.

The ISB guys who went to mikem place will get a good laugh out of this.

And the first guy that chewed a hop cone, and instantly worked out it would be perfect for beer

But I am still wondering just who made the first cat gut racquet.....my missus would never play tennis.....and I still give our cats strange looks.... ;)

Isinglass Here is still the best naturally derived clarifying agent around.It will clear yeast and chill haze really well.Gelitine is about 2/3 less affective. PVPP is a vinyls product ,And IMHO less effective, so were do you go? Plastic or a natural agent. Some yeast will drop out readily if used properly if you pick the right one.I have used Isinglass many times and it is my choice if you want a clear beer.There are some new products coming on the market from Germany which will clarify and meet the German purity laws.It can be used in the kettle and the fermenter.Stay tuned.
GB

Can we assume that you are now polished up and back on deck at the MM?

Latest posts

Back