Beer on a boat (kegs)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maheel

Reaction score
I am planning a fishing trip to the swains ( Gladstone QLD) with some mates and have been told the boat has beer taps (or 1 tap) onboard.
Others who have been before just took normal 50 cartons of megaswill needed for the week....

The suggestion came up about taking some kegs.... 4 x 50L or so

Major issue for me is making a megaswill they will all enjoy and making it CLEAR (not cloudy from yeast) as i reckon the kegs will get stirred up by the movement of the boat and the mates will want clear megaswill.

will there also be a froth issues when serving from half full kegs getting shaken a bit ?
it's a 80 foot boat i am told...

question 1 if i get the standard type filter from CB etc will it solve the yeast issue ?

can i then expect clear beer without the yeast issues of a moving boat ?
at home i normally cold crash a week and then just fill the keg and let it settle in the fridge the 1st few are cloudy

i was looking at the idea of natural carbing in some 50L kegs with shortened dip tubes and then pushing the beer out though the filter and into either corney or some other 50's

Question 2 can i filter / transfer carbonated room temp beer ? using this type of method
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/16907-keg-transfer-made-easy/
or does it need to be cold ?

i should be able store the finished kegged beer in a coldroom but
the beer will also have to travel unrefrigerated to the boat about a 6hr drive in a trailer ....

am i mad and should we just buy beer ?

I'm going to a fishing trip in swains reef I think it is In august :) I was gonna bring kegs but getting then there from nsw is to much of a bitch.

comments regarding filtering:
when you filter, the beer should be cold, and will give you difficulty if it's carbonated at the time. Also best to crash chill it for a bit first to drop out large amounts of yeast as these will slow down the rate of transfer.
A 1 micron absolute filter will give you crystal clear beer, and no chill haze if you use polyclar VT.

I've bought stuff from these guys before, good gear: http://www.clarencewaterfilters.com.au/products/Gravity-Beer-filter-kit.html

My Aussie megaswill (with a tiny bit of flavour) Lager went down really well with my swill drinking mates, we drank a corny of it in under 24 hours
It also won the Lager category at the Bellingen Show
*EDIT*
Nope, that's the wrong recipe, I'll grab the right one when I get home

Maheel, you are following in a fine nautical tradition.

In 1966-67 Francis Chichester, in his mid-sixties, set off on a one-stop solo circumnavigation of the world via Cape Horn in a boat equipped with a keg of beer (Whitbread's I think), CO2 tank and a pluto gun.

(He also took a good stock of gin, rum, scotch, brandy and champagne. Before leaving England someone questioned the amount of grog he was taking. He replied, "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk.")

Have a good time aboard.

When I took a corny camping I just left it in the fridge to carbonate/yeast to drop out, once it was pouring clear (few weeks) I used the ross transfer method to transfer only clear beer into another corny and took that.

Pretty straight forward, just takes time/patience initially.

Back