Do Keggers Let Your Beer Age?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

On the back bloody porch!
Reaction score
G'day
Do you keggers age your beers or just keg it and carb it up from secondary and drink it? How would you age it - just keg it and leave it? Bit confused?
Cheers
Steve

I put my kegs in the fridge and connect the gas at serving pressure (~80kpa) and let them sit in there for anywhere between a couple of weeks and a couple of months.

It gives them time to carbonate slowly and age/cold condition.

I split a double batch between two kegs and shook the first keg to carb it up and it tasted great, but then after a month I tasted the other keg and it was fantastic!

I put my kegs in the fridge and connect the gas at serving pressure (~80kpa) and let them sit in there for anywhere between a couple of weeks and a couple of months.

I connect 'em up at serving pressure too.
But I'm not as patient and I'm usually drinking it within a week :chug:

jaytee

Really all depends on how many kegs a brewer has and consumption rate.

I pretty much do the same as mugga. I double batch so I drink one keg at 4 weeks and then the other from 8 weeks on. Helps to have 8 kegs ! :D

I only have two kegs so I tend to drink them young and have little work in progress .
lagers and Porters I leave in scondary to clear or mellow

pumpy :)

For me it depends on the style of beer and keg space.
I had a barley wine style ale that was in a keg for 6 months.
I had a wheat in a keg for 6 days.

Luke

The only kegged beer not aged here is the Hefe, then again I have 10 kegs with only one empty at the moment. :p .

I have to say, beer in kegs is THE DUCKS NUTS! :beerbang:
I can't beleive I'm drinking such quality beer so soon after primary. There's a definite difference to having the beer maturing in a large vessel as opposed to glass bottles.

I now filter all my brews after cold-conditioning in a cube, and it surprises me that they continue to improve in the keg, even months later! It seems that the time helps to mellow out the hop profile considerably, adding more finesse to styles like Pilsners. Only exception would be certain highly hopped beers like APA's, where the dry-hopped character is at its best while its still "green".

Hutch.

I tried to reply before, but the forum died again :(

My schedule:
Keg
Sit at room temp for around a week
Chill
Carbonate
Drink

Works great for me :chug:

PZ.

I tried to reply before, but the forum died again :(

My schedule:
Keg
Sit at room temp for around a week
Chill
Carbonate
Drink

Works great for me :chug:

PZ.

PZ - I reckon is going to work great for me too when I buy that keg fridge off you :beerbang: (you get my PM?)
Cheers
Steve

PZ - I reckon is going to work great for me too when I buy that keg fridge off you :beerbang: (you get my PM?)
Cheers
Steve

Yeah, sure did :beer:

Got the enclosure for my Tempmaster and some other bits today...your wait will probably be determined only by shipping time of parts from the US now :super:

PZ.

I like my APA's to knock off the rough edges with at least 3 weeks in the keg as well.
Stainless steel at 0-1C is a wonderful thing!

I jsut find it way too hard to not drnik them once they are in the kegs.

This is why im buying mroe kegs, and doing a chest freezer setup so that ...umm...they go a bit slower? Yeah....yeah...thats why...yeah....

i like to leave them in the keg for a couple of weeks. but in summer kegs dont last as long as i wish... but thats another excuse to brew more i guess.

i like to leave them in the keg for a couple of weeks. but in summer kegs dont last as long as i wish... but thats another excuse to brew more i guess.

I think im on my way to alcholism - just picked up a keg fridge (cheers Fingerlickn) with two brumbys taps, lines, disconnects, drip tray for $150.00 big ones! Just need gas, reg and two kegs :blink:
Cheers
Steve

I have 2 kegs, and 2 cubes (jerry cans) in my fridge. So even at a keg a week it still has 3-4 weeks to clear.

I don't usually set out to age any of my kegs but having said that a keg may be carbonated and sitting in the fridge waiting for another keg to be finished. This can vary from a couple of days to 4-6 weeks.

The other time a keg may get aged is if I don't have enough room in the fridge. If this happens then I gas the keg to serving pressure and leave in a cool area of the house. This is not done to age as such, its more that I don't like seeing empty kegs. :(

By the way Steve, I thought this kegging caper was something that had very little chance of happening at your place. :D
You will NOT regret it! (Your liver might but you wont)

Cheers

Scott

Thanks all :D

Scott - My wonderful wife said im only allowed as long as the new fridge goes outside under the carport next to the BBQ. I said oh go on then twist me arm :chug:

Steve

Gee Steve, you'd be pissed off with that. :D

Right next to the BBQ! :chug: :chug: :beer:

Scott

Latest posts

Back