Direct Fired Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjack

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a SS tun to direct fire for ez multi step rests. Does anyone have experience with direct fired mash tuns? Did you scold the mash? Do you recirculate? Any tips on how to hold the heat during the big rest?

Cheers

JJ

If you start asking questions, JJ, people will start thinking you're real!

I am thinking about getting a SS tun to direct fire for ez multi step rests. Does anyone have experience with direct fired mash tuns? Did you scold the mash? Do you recirculate? Any tips on how to hold the heat during the big rest?
That is the way Chiller has his setup. Just has a nasa burner under the tun. I have brewed at his house and drank his beers. None seem to have suffered from this method. If you do a search you may find some posts of his about this but he hasn't posted much for a while now.

Have been doing this for some time now, my setup is pretty basic and totally human-controlled (no pumps either) Scolding the mash is a nasty possibility - once you have done it once you won't do it again! I haven't had any problem holding heat, and on the rare occasion that it does happen 30 seconds of nasa flame on low soon fixes that.

Zwickle does it as well, I was looking at this too and from the info I have read the best vessel is a ss pot with a thick base that distributes the heat well and some way of stirring. The Brutus 10 does it as well but he rcirculates through a false bottom. The brutus use a temp controller to control a gas valve on a very gentle heat.

Have been doing this for some time now, my setup is pretty basic and totally human-controlled (no pumps either) Scolding the mash is a nasty possibility - once you have done it once you won't do it again! I haven't had any problem holding heat, and on the rare occasion that it does happen 30 seconds of nasa flame on low soon fixes that.

B, how many shots of fire do you have to hit it with during an hour long rest? Do you do a manual recirc when you fire up the nasa?

JJ

B, how many shots of fire do you have to hit it with during an hour long rest? Do you do a manual recirc when you fire up the nasa?

JJ

JJ,

Depending on a few things:- batch size, mash schedule, and also the weather I find I usually need to do it once or twice to maintain heat. When I do step mashes I often prefer a short (~30 min) sach. rest followed by a dextrin rest of about the same length. Strangely I haven't noticed a direct relationship between step length and the number of times I have to heat.

Compared with the last time I did a single infusion (about 2 weeks ago) I only needed to apply heat once during 60mins, and that was in midwinter here, air temp. probably only about 12C. I haven't ever recirc'd until lautering.

cheers BB

Latest posts

Back