Quantcast

Dip Tube Seals

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

jgriffin

No Longer Brewin!
Joined
16/5/04
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
Quick Q, does anyone know if it's OK to use O-rings for the dip-tubes in the corny kegs? The ones that are in all my kegs are square, and buggered if i can find some the right size. O-rings though are easy to source..
 

normell

Winter's Flat's #1 Brewer, now that XXXX have move
Joined
14/12/04
Messages
765
Reaction score
0
jgriffin said:
Quick Q, does anyone know if it's OK to use O-rings for the dip-tubes in the corny kegs? The ones that are in all my kegs are square, and buggered if i can find some the right size. O-rings though are easy to source..
[post="53753"][/post]​
Most HB shops should have them ?????

Normell
 

jgriffin

No Longer Brewin!
Joined
16/5/04
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
Sure, but why pay $1 a seal when a 5c one will do the same job?
 

sosman

beerling
Joined
16/2/04
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
4
jgriffin said:
Quick Q, does anyone know if it's OK to use O-rings for the dip-tubes in the corny kegs? The ones that are in all my kegs are square, and buggered if i can find some the right size. O-rings though are easy to source..
[post="53753"][/post]​
I have never had a problem using o-rings.
 

Sean

Well-Known Member
Joined
8/10/04
Messages
441
Reaction score
2
jgriffin said:
Sure, but why pay $1 a seal when a 5c one will do the same job?
[post="53757"][/post]​
Grain & Grape supply 'o' rings with their kegs to replace the originals. You sometimes need a couple though.
 

normell

Winter's Flat's #1 Brewer, now that XXXX have move
Joined
14/12/04
Messages
765
Reaction score
0
Hey JJ
I'm not saying not to use them, try them and let us all know

:blink: :D :blink:

Normell
 

jgriffin

No Longer Brewin!
Joined
16/5/04
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
sosman said:
jgriffin said:
Quick Q, does anyone know if it's OK to use O-rings for the dip-tubes in the corny kegs? The ones that are in all my kegs are square, and buggered if i can find some the right size. O-rings though are easy to source..
[post="53753"][/post]​
I have never had a problem using o-rings.
[post="53759"][/post]​

thanks Sos!
 

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Joined
8/8/03
Messages
12,728
Reaction score
1,415
I use the correct seals , they are a sqare section 'o' ring
Use a plain 'o' ring and save $1.00 , then loose $30.00 worth of co2....bargin


Batz
 

Hoops

Well-Known Member
Joined
30/11/03
Messages
1,289
Reaction score
2
I'm with Batz on this one.
By all means give it a go but be aware that they may leak so don't leave you're gas bottle connected for long periods of time or overnight just incase.
If you can find them the $1 cost isn't much....considering mine are over 5 years old and still going no problems, but if you're in a tight spot why not try the o-rings.

If you still can't find any I can ask at my HB club meeting Thursday if you want, see what I can turn up.

Hoops
 

jgriffin

No Longer Brewin!
Joined
16/5/04
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
Hoops said:
I'm with Batz on this one.
By all means give it a go but be aware that they may leak so don't leave you're gas bottle connected for long periods of time or overnight just incase.
If you can find them the $1 cost isn't much....considering mine are over 5 years old and still going no problems, but if you're in a tight spot why not try the o-rings.

If you still can't find any I can ask at my HB club meeting Thursday if you want, see what I can turn up.

Hoops
[post="53776"][/post]​
Thanks mate, i'm currently kegless and i'm supposed to be hosting a brew day!
/me needs seals
 

Hoops

Well-Known Member
Joined
30/11/03
Messages
1,289
Reaction score
2
jgriffin said:
Hoops said:
I'm with Batz on this one.
By all means give it a go but be aware that they may leak so don't leave you're gas bottle connected for long periods of time or overnight just incase.
If you can find them the $1 cost isn't much....considering mine are over 5 years old and still going no problems, but if you're in a tight spot why not try the o-rings.

If you still can't find any I can ask at my HB club meeting Thursday if you want, see what I can turn up.

Hoops
[post="53776"][/post]​
Thanks mate, i'm currently kegless and i'm supposed to be hosting a brew day!
/me needs seals
[post="53780"][/post]​
If you're that desperate you can borrow a couple of my kegs if you want?

Edit - I have 6 kegs and a little keg fridge that only holds 2 :(
 

sosman

beerling
Joined
16/2/04
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
4
Batz said:
I use the correct seals , they are a sqare section 'o' ring
Use a plain 'o' ring and save $1.00 , then loose $30.00 worth of co2....bargin
[post="53766"][/post]​
Have you had any leaks attributable to o-rings?
 

beertime

Member
Joined
29/3/05
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
I am pretty sure if the square seal leaks it will only send co2 into the beer line with the beer and cause massve head
 

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Joined
8/8/03
Messages
12,728
Reaction score
1,415
beertime said:
I am pretty sure if the square seal leaks it will only send co2 into the beer line with the beer and cause massve head
[post="53791"][/post]​
It's up to you guys what you use of course , but don't you think the manufactures of these kegs placed these type of seals there for a reason?
If you grab a seal and take it to an industrial supplier you will be supprized how cheap they are.
Any mech. fitter on this site will know the importance of the correct seal in the correct application.

Batz
 

big d

Hopaholic
Joined
3/6/03
Messages
3,449
Reaction score
3
a dollar saved could be a dollar lost.or something like that.
im with batz.correct seals are the only way to go in my books.least you know original stuff is proven stuff.

cheers
big d

us amwu guys stick together
 

Darren

Beer Dog
Joined
11/5/04
Messages
3,549
Reaction score
6
Funny, I thought the o-rings were square because they were old and crushed. Round o-rings have worked fine for me
 

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Joined
8/8/03
Messages
12,728
Reaction score
1,415
OK my last input into this thread

An 'o' ring seals on one diameter only eg on the outside as per the 'o' ring on the outside of your kegs post

A square section 'o' ring is made to be compressed , therefore it seals on both the ID and OD , eg on the dip tube and the outer diameter of the keg post.

Hope this makes sense

Batz
 

Latest posts

Top