Dip Tube Seals

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgriffin

Reaction score
Quick Q, does anyone know if it's OK to use O-rings for the dip-tubes in the corny kegs? The ones that are in all my kegs are square, and buggered if i can find some the right size. O-rings though are easy to source..

jgriffin said:
Quick Q, does anyone know if it's OK to use O-rings for the dip-tubes in the corny kegs? The ones that are in all my kegs are square, and buggered if i can find some the right size. O-rings though are easy to source..
[post="53753"][/post]​

Most HB shops should have them ?????

Normell

jgriffin said:
[post="53753"][/post]​
I have never had a problem using o-rings.

jgriffin said:
Sure, but why pay $1 a seal when a 5c one will do the same job?
[post="53757"][/post]​
Grain & Grape supply 'o' rings with their kegs to replace the originals. You sometimes need a couple though.

Hey JJ
I'm not saying not to use them, try them and let us all know

:blink: :D :blink:

Normell

sosman said:
jgriffin said:
[post="53753"][/post]​
I have never had a problem using o-rings.
[post="53759"][/post]​

thanks Sos!

I use the correct seals , they are a sqare section 'o' ring
Use a plain 'o' ring and save $1.00 , then loose $30.00 worth of co2....bargin

Batz

I'm with Batz on this one.
By all means give it a go but be aware that they may leak so don't leave you're gas bottle connected for long periods of time or overnight just incase.
If you can find them the $1 cost isn't much....considering mine are over 5 years old and still going no problems, but if you're in a tight spot why not try the o-rings.

If you still can't find any I can ask at my HB club meeting Thursday if you want, see what I can turn up.

Hoops

Hoops said:
By all means give it a go but be aware that they may leak so don't leave you're gas bottle connected for long periods of time or overnight just incase.
If you can find them the $1 cost isn't much....considering mine are over 5 years old and still going no problems, but if you're in a tight spot why not try the o-rings.

If you still can't find any I can ask at my HB club meeting Thursday if you want, see what I can turn up.

Hoops
[post="53776"][/post]​

Thanks mate, i'm currently kegless and i'm supposed to be hosting a brew day!
/me needs seals

jgriffin said:
Hoops said:

Hoops
[post="53776"][/post]​

Thanks mate, i'm currently kegless and i'm supposed to be hosting a brew day!
/me needs seals
[post="53780"][/post]​
If you're that desperate you can borrow a couple of my kegs if you want?

Edit - I have 6 kegs and a little keg fridge that only holds 2 :(

Batz said:
I use the correct seals , they are a sqare section 'o' ring
Use a plain 'o' ring and save $1.00 , then loose $30.00 worth of co2....bargin
[post="53766"][/post]​
Have you had any leaks attributable to o-rings?

I am pretty sure if the square seal leaks it will only send co2 into the beer line with the beer and cause massve head

beertime said:
I am pretty sure if the square seal leaks it will only send co2 into the beer line with the beer and cause massve head
[post="53791"][/post]​

It's up to you guys what you use of course , but don't you think the manufactures of these kegs placed these type of seals there for a reason?
If you grab a seal and take it to an industrial supplier you will be supprized how cheap they are.
Any mech. fitter on this site will know the importance of the correct seal in the correct application.

Batz

a dollar saved could be a dollar lost.or something like that.
im with batz.correct seals are the only way to go in my books.least you know original stuff is proven stuff.

cheers
big d

us amwu guys stick together

Funny, I thought the o-rings were square because they were old and crushed. Round o-rings have worked fine for me

OK my last input into this thread

An 'o' ring seals on one diameter only eg on the outside as per the 'o' ring on the outside of your kegs post

A square section 'o' ring is made to be compressed , therefore it seals on both the ID and OD , eg on the dip tube and the outer diameter of the keg post.

Hope this makes sense

Batz

Back