Dial Thermometer 2" Or 6" ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snoozer

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I bought a 2" dial thermometer from G&G last week for my mash tun thinking this would be best as the probe wouldn't get whacked by the klutz on the end of the paddle. However, after installing it today I'm having second thoughts. Should I have got the 6" version 'cause the probe doesn't stick out far from the keg wall at all. Is a 6" likely to give a more accurate reading of mash temps as the probe is nearer the centre of the mash? Hope I haven't bought the wrong one...
snoozer

I got the 2" for the same reason. My experience of mash temps though is that my tun has different temps all over the mash and while a longer probe might give me a different reading it won't necessarily be more accurate. Heat rises out the top of the bed but the grain insulates the bottom so the bottom of the mash stays hotter, longer and the top cools off. The edges of my mash also seem to be a bit hotter than the middle. I now rely on my glass stick thermometer and take several measurements. The dial thermometer looks nice but I'm not certain it was worth the money I paid as I can't rely on it.

My system, your mileage etc, etc.

Worst comes to worst though I (and you) can always use it for an HLT when I get around to drilling out my 38 L pot.

Back