Diacetyl rest

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkhlt1210

Reaction score
G'day guys just wondering about doing a diacetyl rest. Is it worth doing to every brew or is there particular ones like lagers? Any advice appreciated

Someone else may be able to expand on this, but a D rest is par for course with lagers (more likely to develop diacetyl), but often not required for ales. I asked this question a couple of years ago re: an ale & was asked if I could detect diacetyl in the fermented beer. I couldn't, and there was my answer.
Lots of brewers do let the temperature of their brew come up a few degrees at or near FG to make it easier for the yeast to finish any remaining sugar & clean up after themselves. I initially did confuse this process for a D rest.
A rule of thumb for lots of brewers seems to be a minimum of 2 weeks in the fermenter to allow the yeast to clean up & drop out. I usually go with this timeframe, although it also includes 3-4 days of cold crashing.

It depends on a few factors, I'd suggest learning what diacetyl tastes like and then taste for it in your beers. Took me a while to grasp the flavour but now I know it I can pick it.

If you cant taste it then there is no point doing a d rest unless you're entering comps.

I believe there is a slight difference between a proper diacetyl rest and simply raising the temp towards the end of primary ferment to encourage cleanup and promoting a higher attentuation also.

Yep to tack on to the end of PIs comment. Ive seen more and more brewers here doing 10 days at regular ferment temp, raise for 2-3 days then cold crash for 2-3 and dry hop during the cold crash. Ive employed this and reckon its a great schedule to brew to.

I'll normally ferment at standard temps (beer/yeast dependent), then raise by ~3'C after ~5 days, leave for ~3days and CC for 3-7 days (with dry hopping if need be). I normally look at a 2 week turnaround, including CC. Haven't had any issues with the D at this stage (mind out of the gutter :lol: )..

Yeast health, pitching rates and oxygen will also play a vital roll as well.

EDIT: That was for an ale, obviously longer turnaround for a lager with a larger rise in temp.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
I believe there is a slight difference between a proper diacetyl rest and simply raising the temp towards the end of primary ferment to encourage cleanup and promoting a higher attentuation also.
Not having done a lager or a d-rest I could be talking out my arse, but I think a D-rest requires a gradual temperature increase to avoid shocking the yeast, whereas this isn't as crucial for an ale. Or perhaps it's not as crucial because the increase is less dramatic (eg 12C - 21C for a lager Vs. 18C - 21C for an ale).

I have noticed itseems to be yeast dependant. The bohemiam yeast I have needs 8-12 days at 20degc whilst the munich Ihave only needs 3-4. II would suggest going by smell and taste. My first butter bomb didnt occurr till after it was chilled in the keg.

Methods I have tried to expadite the process includes, stirring the yeast, adding dex, keeping warm at 22degc, adding rinsed yeast, adding 10% from another fermenting batch that was at 50% attenuation. In spite of all these they all turned out great except for one that was a little dry and bland on account of the 500g of dex I added to assist with diacetyl clean up. It was still better than any thing I bought at the bottlo in a box.

I believe so.

I will be using bottle O2 on my next batch. Although I don't know if it will make a difference. All the batch s I havedone got to 75% attenuation in 3days and full attenuation in four days at 9 or 10 degC. . So its not like the yeast are stressed or lacking some thing.

I read a post on hbt by a champion brewer, if you believe his sig, that it is OK to leave as long as it takes at 20degc or so. Two days sounds awesome atm. I am still in the stage where I Cant make it as fast as I drink it.

From my limited understanding these are three main drivers for diacetyl production/control

grist: malt bill will play a large part. Pilsner malt will lead to a higher quantity of the precursor to diacetyl i believe.

Yeast selection: some give more than others

Ferment temp: My understanding is that a D rest isn't usually required for ales because they usually ferment around 17-18 or so, and the yeast is able to remove the diacetyl at that temperature once its finished eating up the sugarz. Lagers usually require this temp increase step because they ferment around the 10-12 degree mark, and the yeast will more readily remove the diacetyl at the classic ale fermenting temperatures.

happy to be corrected however

Edit: have been corrected

I thought pilsner malt had more DMS precursors, not more likely to result in diacetyl which is a yeast and temp related byproduct?

Alex.Tas said:
grist: malt bill will play a large part. Pilsner malt will lead to a higher quantity of the precursor to diacetyl i believe.
I've never heard that one before. Are you sure you're not confusing diacetyl with DMS? The precursor to diacetyl is alpha-acetolactate which is produced by the yeast in the process of making valine. The precursor to DMS is s-methyl methionine (SMM) which comes from malt.

yeah perhaps you guys are right. my bad.
Regardless, how did i go with the other two points?

I just reread the article for the eleventh time. I am also going to try pitching less yeast.

Posted a million times before but it's hard to get a better understanding of what and why from a source different to Dr Bamforth. Youtube search 'bamforth diacetyl' and have a listen.

Without starting a new topic, I haven't brewed a lager in a long time and need to refresh my memory on D-rests. Can someone clarify for most of us brewers who like to leave our beer on the cake for 2 weeks to do its thing, what do you do in the case of a d-rest? If your raising temps at around 75-80% of your FG this is evidently going to be 5 days in or so. Do you then drop back down to regular temps for a week to let it sit for a total of two or just go straight to cold crashing or in this case lagering?

Different approaches. I prefer to very slowly raise the temp when I'm part way through fermentation (1-2 degrees per day) then rest at ale temps for a few days, then slowly drop downwards toward lagering temps (0-4).

You can also do a forced diacetyl test to see how much precursor remains in the beer as that is the potential for diacetyl/vdk.

Latest posts

Back