Definition Of Partial?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCraggen

Reaction score
G'day, just wondering what the actual definition of a "partial" was, is it where about 50% of the fermentable sugars are from a mash? Also if a kit is used then how does one add more bittering hops or are none required?

I just figured if your that close to AG might as well just make the leap, ;)

Cheers.

I would define it as being a brew using some grain, some malt, proportions undefined. It's a partial AG.
The reasons are many, no large kettle for full boil, no room for large burner, etc. With an average 12L stock pot you can do BIAB with maybe 3kg grain, then use LME to achieve desired alc %.

Having said that I still manage to do 25L boils on my 3-ring wok burner in the kitchen, much to the delight of the wife!

In an extract brew you just use extract... theres no grains involved.

I would think partial refers to a partial mash, ie meaning that you're not just steeping speciality grains but you're actually doing a mash and then adding some malt extract.

Extract brews are brews made with malt extract and boiling your own hops.

I guess extact + steep is the midpoint between an extract and a partial, dunno if it's got a name or not.

Anything kit based I'd call a kits and bits, even if it's got boiled hops and speciality grains.

personally i feel the coined term partial is a partial mash.

Partial mashing is using base malt and other grains to achieve a result fermentable sugars to add to your extract. The % of grain you mash? Anywhere from 1% <=99% of your final soluable sugars. If its 100% you just doing all grain, if its less than 1% its simply extract.

partial is not steeping crystal or chocolate malt either... thats just 'steeping grain' as there is no conversion of starches going on.

OK, thanks for the clarification.

Im ready to make the next step from kits, although im not quite ready for AG as I dont want to buy all the gear just yet and I have no room to store it all. Do you only need the same amount of equipment to make a partial as you do an extract? ie: a 20L pot, thermometer, anything else?

I think it's when you mash grain (not steep) to add fermentable sugars, anywhere between 0 and 100 percent (not inclusive). <flame suit> Like even if you do an AG batch and come in under gravity and add some malt extract to bring it up, it's still a partial mash </flame suit>

If you add dextrose or candi sugar as part of an AG recipe however, it is not a partial mash.

OK, thanks for the clarification.

Im ready to make the next step from kits, although im not quite ready for AG as I dont want to buy all the gear just yet and I have no room to store it all. Do you only need the same amount of equipment to make a partial as you do an extract? ie: a 20L pot, thermometer, anything else?

If you just want to steep you don't really need a 20L pot. That said you can get a 20L stainless steel pot for about $20 from Big W, and it's a really handy pot to have when brewing. I'd recommend grabbing it anyway. You may want to boil your kit, 10L of water etc in it.

You can steep in a smaller pot and then add the wort you've collected from the steep process into the bigger pot, and boil. Chuck some hops in etc too.

So basically the only 'gear' you really need is a 20L pot for $20, which should fit in a cupboard easy enough, and a decent thermometer. That said I'm not sure if temperatures need to be spot on for steeping so maybe you don't even need the thermometer yet. Someone else may clarify.

So basically the only 'gear' you really need is a 20L pot for $20, which should fit in a cupboard easy enough, and a decent thermometer. That said I'm not sure if temperatures need to be spot on for steeping so maybe you don't even need the thermometer yet. Someone else may clarify.
Yep, according to our experts, temperatures aren't all that critical, we did briefly cover the bases with steeping temperatures just the other day, here's the thread. BTW, I'm grateful for the responses as well, along with the article and this discussion, its all been very helpful.
Thanks & cheers! :icon_cheers:

The way that the term 'partial' has developed in the home brew literature and on AHB in particular I would define it as:

Partial =

• A mash of a kilo or two or three of grain malts of the types that have to be mashed and are not 'steepable', used to supplement a kit, and optionally some additional sugars.
  • A mash of a kilo etc etc used to supplement a brew consisting principally of malt extract either liquid or dry, and optionally some additional sugars
A brew where nearly all of the fermentables comes from a kit or extract and only some of the flavour and colour comes from steeped grains such as crystal malt or black malt is not really a partial. It's usually referred to either a Kits n Bits or an extract recipe brew.

An all grain brew based on Commercial styles where some sugar is traditionally added, for example most commercial UK Bitters, some Belgian Beers that use Candi sugar, and many Australian mainstream beers which use up to 30 percent sugars is not, in my opinion a partial. Here we are getting into a grey area that could spawn a thread in its own right, but the term 'partial' is really an indication that the BULK Of the fermentables come from some other source than the mash (hence the other term 'mini mash').

my 0.002

Yep, according to our experts, temperatures aren't all that critical, we did briefly cover the bases with steeping temperatures just the other day, here's the thread. BTW, I'm grateful for the responses as well, along with the article and this discussion, its all been very helpful.
Thanks & cheers! :icon_cheers:

I'm sure its been mentioned ad nauseum but hot steeping is easy to achieve by mixing 2 parts boiling water and 1 part cold tap water (ie out of the cold tap). This gives you ~65C.

That fact and a 6 can esky got me into steeping grain for the last 6 or so kits i did. Easy as! Boil the liquor after adding malt and hops as required and voila. A few mins extra effort for a huge gain.

Just dont bring it back to earth with a thud by using a kit yeast :lol:

Yep, according to our experts, temperatures aren't all that critical, we did briefly cover the bases with steeping temperatures just the other day,

That`s what I like about cold steeping grains the nite before you brew, in the morning you just strain and rinse into your brewpot {a few minutes} put it on to boil and you`re off to a flying start. Only way I`ll ever do it, others will be different of course.

stagga.

Well ive already done steeping, so far as adding crystal malt to a kit. I assume this is what id do if I were to make an extract brew as well...

But to do a partial, do I need a mash tun?

Well ive already done steeping, so far as adding crystal malt to a kit. I assume this is what id do if I were to make an extract brew as well...
But to do a partial, do I need a mash tun?

Go donw to dimmies, spoils, spotlight and get yourself a few M of Voile cloth. line the inside of your pot with it, dump in grain, topup with 65 deg water (with a few inches below the top as you will boil the wort in this). whack a lid on and pop into a 150deg preheated oven and turn off the gas.

Forget about it for 1 hour then simply take it from the oven, draw up the voile and reomve the grain. There you go, a mini biab! Then simply boil it for atleast 20 mins to remove the nasties, add your hop additions, flame out, add extract, chill, pitch yeast and ferment.

I did my last few extract brews like this then realised i couild be doing ag in almost the same timeframe!

Partial= minimash +can of goo and boiling hops.
Ratio doesn't matter.
:)

Is there a wiki on this?

It strikes me there should be one if there isn't. My brews have started to involve grains and I've got a few new bits and pieces to try and get nearer to AG but some of the technical terms can be confusing for the new people.

I would listen to fourstar = Know's his stuff!

Thanks Cocko, i try... mostly. Off to bed. 3 pints of a crash chilled AAA that i screwed the siphon to make sure i dont waste any make me sleepy pretty quickly.

Back