Deep Fryer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirem

Reaction score
I am in the market for one of those bench top deep fryers.

I have used the old wok with oil in it, but I am constantly waiting for it to heat back up and I have little to no control of the oil temperature.

Any one got one, what brand? Any other ideas?

I like stuff made by tefal and I like the idea of an oil filter.

http://www.tefal.com.au/All+Products/Cooki...o+Oleoclean.htm

I have tried on many occasions to have one of these approved, but the Minister for War and Finance always veto it!

That unit looks quite neat. I like the separate oil storage.

Cheers SJ

I have a sunbeam 2.8L deep fryer, can take 750g of food. They also make a larger one. Received a $50 sunbeam voucher so got it for only $30. The oil drain thing looks interesting but could also be something to go wrong. I just wait for the oil to cool and pour it back into the bottle through a strainer and funnel. Have only used it on frozen chips and seafood so far, still to venture into homemade items, seems to work fine so far.

one word of advice they stink after a while, dosnt matter what brand, what size they all stink after a few use's...our "kitchen gadget" cupboard still stinks of old oil and we threw it out 2 years ago.

it can live in the shed for those sessions that get out of hand. I'll have a bag of dim sims and bag of chips in the freezer on stand-by

I have used the old wok with oil in it, but I am constantly waiting for it to heat back up and I have little to no control of the oil temperature.

Any one got one, what brand? Any other ideas?
We recently purchased a new deep fryer (from Kmart so it was cheap) but it works well.
The design is very basic (but seems to be how most are made now days) just a metal outer casing, a removable oil tub with a basket for frying, and an 'immersion' element with temperature controls, looks something like this.
The 'immersion' element means it heats up very quickly and is so easy to control, so I'd suggest you find one with a similar design.

Given the oil tub is easily removed (once cool) if you wanted to store/filter the oil you could do that without the need for a oil tray/filter in the one shown above, which I'd be a little concerned about leaking.
Some things I'd also look for include a 'filter' for the vents on the lid, a lid that fits well (since steam/oil can easily escape around/under the lid) and an easy way to drain the oil when the basket is lifted (however not too many deep fryers seem to offer these options now days).

Latest posts

Back