Dark Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slcmorro

87 Warning Points. Bad Boy!
Reaction score
Opposites day maybe?

I want a dark IPA (don't ask why, just fancy the idea of a darker, higher IBU and aromatic beer lately), and I've got the following in mind:

3.0kg JW Trad as base
300gm Dark Crystal (sweetness, colour)
100gm Chocolate or Black Roasted Barley [whatever the LHBS has tomorrow that adds darkness] (colour)
100gm Best Wheat (head retention)
500gm Vienna (sweetness, depth)

Following the 10min IPA schedule;

20gm Cascade @ 10
20gm Amarillo @ 10
20gm Galaxy @ 10
5gm Nelson @ 10 (only adding this to see how it plays with the others, or is even noticeable. I've got a NS/Trade SMaSH kegged, and it's overpoweringly awful)

Aiming for 20L finished, ferm with BRY97 @ 18c

Dry hop with 20gm each of Cascade & Amarillo after day 5.

Brings me 51.7 IBU (no-chill adjusted) and 4.4% if I hit an FG of 1.014 as expected.

Please feel free to tastefully pull apart my recipe and offer suggestions/alternatives, but please take the time to explain them :)

That looks cool.

What does that ABV and IBU work out to be ?
If it were me I would be going about 4-5 kg at least on the trad ale.
Not criticising, just a suggestion !
I am the same as you, nelson can be overpowering.

I have done IPA's and black IPA's, I like the blacks to be up around 7% and pushing 60 IBU's. Good roasty notes don't hurt either !
But thats me.

Good luck man!

CF

Are you wanting the darker roasty flavours to come through or are you wanting a clean IPA taste that is dark?
If you are not wanting it to be roasty, you can add the darker malts near the end of the mash or try and get some Briess Midnight Wheat which will create a black beer with little roasty flavours.

Nibbo said:
Are you wanting" the darker roasty flavours to come thzrough or are you wanting a clean IPA taste that is dark?
If you are not wanting it to be roasty, you can add the darker malts near the end of the mash or try and get some Briess Midnight Wheat which will create a black beer with little roasty flavours.

If your just looking for that black colour without the roast character. You can you like nibbo suggested chocolate wheat at the end of the mash during mash out to extract colour and with the right amount of hops you won't notice it. Carafa s 3 that is de husked does a similar effect, with both about 3%of the grist.

If you can get it Briess A-6001 tinted....MHB stocks it and with about 150g it will turn it black....but again you will need to hop her up to eliminate that roast or coffee note, it's only very slight. Personally, I prefer that note now after making a couple of black IPAs with Carafa and breiss tinter.

Thought I wrote this but I just quoted someone instead. Anyhow, I added some choc grain to my pale ale for something different, not a lot, just enough to darken it. Gave it a nice roasty flavour.

I've been playing around with roasting raw wheat at home, havent gotten anything as black as the midnight wheat yet but having another go tonight, if I can get it to my liking I'll be trying it in a black IPA.

So far the roasted raw wheat comes out tasting like toast, makes me want a vegimite beer...

Cascadian Dark Ale?

I made a dark IPA which was lovely.

3.5 kg JW Pale, 250 cararoma, 100 choc....

I made a wookey jack clone from HBT and just chucked the dark malts in for last 15mins of mash. Works a treat mate

I recently made a dunkelweizen with 1% carafa t3 as the only dark grain addition. It came out a nice dark-amber colour and only gave it a slight nutty roasted flavour. If that's what you're after, definitely go for one of the Wey Carafa's.

Most India Dark Ales are porters that are smashed with hops I've found... I made a double chick porter and threw 100grams of citra in at the end, then dry hopped with citra and chinook. Was hoppy as hell and tasty

As others have suggested the use of dehusked Carafa or Midnight Wheat are your best bet for achieving dark colours with little to no flavour impact on the beer profile.

Adding it late in the mash is a great idea as well, saves having to adjust your water for dark grains, I do this with all my brown to dark ales and never have a problem hitting colour targets.

There was a cracking black IPA in the IPA issue of BYO magazine many moons ago. See if you can track it down, otherwise give me a pm and I can provide it to you.

I say again. Cracking beer. :icon_drool2:

Back