Dark Ale Extract recipe request

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AleBoy

Reaction score
G'day all - thanks for invitation to site.
I've been doing extract brews for a few years now, am happy with output & kegging.
I normally do a big milk stout over autumn/winter & a hoppy pale ale for spring/summer - using extract cans & added hop pellets.
I dont have time/setup for full on grain brew though occasionally will do a mini mash in wife's thermomix.

My question is - if I was to add 1x extract can of stout to 3x extract cans of pale ale in a 46litre brew, what would be result?
A dark ale? Or a stout lite?

I'm really trying to get a dark hoppy pale ale (an oxymoron I know) - am not trying to get a dark, heavy ale.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers
AleBoy

Should get you in the ball park for a nice American brown ale if you add some hops into a 5 min boil + dry hop at the end of ferment..

Cascade/chinook, Cascade/ galaxy, Centennial/willamette, Cascade/stricklebract, Mosaic, are combos I've enjoyed but really whatever hops you like in your pale.

Judanero said:
Should get you in the ball park for a nice American brown ale if you add some hops into a 5 min boil + dry hop at the end of ferment..
Assuming you use an American ale yeast not the kit yeast :p

Thanks for all ur help peeps.
I often use the nottingham ale yeasts as they betterer than the extract can yeasts.
And I know what a porter is - have a good recipe for that one :)
I've had a few dark, lighter, ales tho can really describe it well.
Anyway, it's given me a place to start - cheers.

Latest posts

Back