Dano's All Grain Feral Hop Hog Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting. I was going to add 1mg of salt when i brewed a batch yesterday but decided against it. I might disolve some table salt in some boiled water and add to the keg. Any reason why that could be a bad idea?

Like I said earlier, I haven't done any water chemistry yet. I have however been looking into it. I have a local water report and have run the numbers through beersmith to try and adjust my water to a random pale ale target i pulled from the interwebs somewhere. I was going to adjust my water for yesterdays hop hog attempt but I made changes to the grain bill that I would like to compare against my previous attempt and didn't want to fudge my perception by messing with too much between brews (I'm still a brewing noob, so baby steps :p).

I am curious however on people would think is an acceptable target for the water. These are the "random" numbers I pulled from the web for a pale ale style:
ca 140
mg 18
na 25
sulfate 300
chloride 55

which according to beersmith equated to adding (roughly):
9.3g gypsum
1.4g epsom salt
0.6g table salt

Do you think that target would suit this beer? I honestly have no idea since I have never changed my water before :unsure:

I have been down the 1:6 Cl:SO4 ratio road suggested for ipas & pale ales, in my opinion it produces huge harsh bitterness that I don't like or find apparent in commercial examples, like the one this thread is referring to.

After many brews and much experimentation, starting with RO or rain water, I use palmers easy water spread sheet to work out my salt and acid additions to hit the desired ion levels & mash ph.

I use..
Ca:~100ppm Mg:~10ppm Na:~40ppm Cl:~50 SO4:~100ppm for my pale ales & ipas

Ca:~50 Mg:~5ppm Na:~20ppm Cl:~80 SO4:~80ppm for my lagers & pilsners.

If I were going to brew this I would use my above pale ale levels, maybe push the SO4 to 150ppm tops.

Ps I gave up on the BS2 water tool, I find it no help what so ever.

Jus my 2c

Thanks rockeye. I will try out those vales in my next batch.

FWIW This article has an interesting quote regarding the hops in hop hog. No Amarillo apparently.

Varis said dry hopping tweaks had seen the brewing team settle on an optimal mix of Galaxy, Mosaic and Amarillo.
“Funnily enough, of those hops that we’ve settled on, none of them are in Hop Hog,” he said.

N3MI said:
FWIW This article has an interesting quote regarding the hops in hop hog. No Amarillo apparently.
Yeah it seems it changes a bit. Amarillo has been mentioned by Brendan as being in Hop Hog in previous articles. I believe the most recent harvest of Amarillo was not as good as previous years so there may be a shortage.

Have read through the thread in prep for having a first attempt at this. I noticed that there was some discussion on keg dry hopping after making some keg mods. I was thinking about using my hop rocket between 2 kegs for my dry hop before chilling to serve. The hop rocket would be used with a tea infuser of pellet hops and a few cascade flowers. Has anyone tried this? I'm guessing the aromas might be a little different due to contact time with any residual yeast?

Just tapped my first attempt at this one, for testing purposes you understand, don't want to over carb it after all and it is a school night.

Dano, you're a genius. This is delicious. Great recipe, will brew again.

jimmy_jangles said:
On my to brew next list for sure, it's been about a year since I brewed it last.....glorious!

Fraser's BRB said:
Just tapped my first attempt at this one, for testing purposes you understand, don't want to over carb it after all and it is a school night.

Dano, you're a genius. This is delicious. Great recipe, will brew again.
Nice, cheers guys. I too am brewing this in the coming weeks. I've had lagers on tap for the last few months and am craving hops big time!

Yeah I followed this recipe except I used weyermann pale ale malt everything else was the same. Wow it turned out perfect color and taste spot on. A couple of mates couldn't tell the difference. It has become my stock beer.
Cheers to Dano

Yeah I followed this recipe except I used weyermann pale ale malt everything else was the same. Wow it turned out perfect color and taste spot on. A couple of mates couldn't tell the difference. It has become my stock beer.
Cheers to Dano

danestead said:
After having a taste of version #4, personally I think it needs more aroma, has a pretty bad astringency and possibly a tad dry. Other than that, I think it's where I want it. The judges in the WASABC mentioned more aroma needed, astringency, too many esters, acetaldehyde and hop flavour too low.

The updated recipe to be brewed next (version #5) has doubled the 0 minute and dry hopping amounts, uses tap water rather than RO/DI water made up with salts to fix the astringency problems and uses wy1056 to try drop the esters that the judges are noticing (I can't notice them but the likelyhood is that I just think that is the hops giving those aromas). I've left the 15 minute flavour hops the same as I think it closely reflects that of the Feral Hop Hog. I've also very slightly changed the mash schedule to a 67 degree rest.

With any luck, this will be the end of the tweaking.

Enjoy, and if you brew it, let me know how it turns out.

:icon_cheers:

Recipe: Dano's Hop Hog Clone (Recipe 5)

Equipment-------------
20L Braumeister

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 26.00 Post Boil
Total Grain (Kg): 6.12
Anticipated OG: 1.058 Plato: 14.30
Target FG: 1.014
Anticipated EBC: 14.1
Anticipated IBU: 49.1 Tinseth
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes
Alc by Volume: 5.8%

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
87.5 5.35 kg. Barrett Burston - Ale Malt Australia 1.038 6
10.0 0.61 kg. Weyermann Munich I Germany 1.038 15
2.5 0.15 kg. Weyermann Caramunich II Germany 1.035 125

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
30.00 g. Magnum Pellet 10.59 32.5 60 min.

15.00 g. Amarillo Pellet 7.79 5.9 15 min.
15.00 g. Cascade Pellet 5.68 4.3 15 min.
15.00 g. Centennial Pellet 8.30 6.3 15 min.

36.40 g. Amarillo Pellet 7.79 0.0 0 min.
36.40 g. Cascade Pellet 5.68 0.0 0 min.
36.40 g. Centennial Pellet 8.30 0.0 0 min.

Once the boil is up and the 0 minute hops are added, I immediately immersion chill to 70 deg to lock in the IBU's and stop isomerisation, then do a whirlpool for 15 mins prior to plate chilling into the fermenter. On revision 1 I didn't immersion chill straight away which resulted in a large overshoot in IBU's.

50.00 g. Cascade Pellet 5.68 0.0 Dry Hop
50.00 g. Centennial Pellet 8.30 0.0 Dry Hop
50.00 g. Amarillo Pellet 7.79 0.0 Dry Hop

Dry hop for approximately 4 days toward the end of fermentation.

Yeast
-----
Starter of Fermentis US-05 American Ale, Wyeast 1056 or White Labs 001.
Fermented at 18 degrees. Diacetyl rest at 22 degrees once gravity hits 1.020.

Mash Schedule
-------------

Dough In Temp: 38 Time: 0
Saccharification Rest Temp: 67 Time: 60
Additional Rest Temp: 72 Time: 10
Mash-out Rest Temp: 76 Time: 10
Sparge Temp: 76 Time: 0

Water-------
Perth tap water put through a sediment and carbon filter.

Mash PH adjusted to 5.4 (room temp.) with Lactic Acid.
My initial attempts used RO/DI water built to a specific profile with salts but it appears this was causing an astringency.
Forgive my ignorance, what do I need to change to do a 23ltr batch in th GF ?

doctr-dan said:
Forgive my ignorance, what do I need to change to do a 23ltr batch in th GF ?
If you can wait until Monday I can send you what I copied across into BS from this thread. I haven't made it yet though.

Back