Cube Hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damoninja how many and what hops did you use?

Think of doing a pale ale tomorrow,

Tweeked my system so I'll be dropping my eff to 75%

24ltr batch
4kg JW trad ale
1kg wheat malt

Cube hops, calculated as 20mins

20g Amarillo
20g Nelson Sauvin
20g Citra
20g Willamette

OG 1.050
IBU 41

Not so sure on the Willamette yet...

i

damoninja said:
200g amarillo in a 20L batch.
Dry hopped?

I remember reading a thread somewhere about the amount of cube hops needed for a solid IPA (can't seem to find it now though, think it was beerfingers??), from an alcohol clouded memory, I seem to recall that the brewer in question was happy with 250g, though I can't remember what type, AA%etc.
What have other people found is a good amount for a good hop punch in the face? doesn't have to be an IPA, but a solid hoppy pale.

IsonAd said:
Dry hopped?

I remember reading a thread somewhere about the amount of cube hops needed for a solid IPA (can't seem to find it now though, think it was beerfingers??), from an alcohol clouded memory, I seem to recall that the brewer in question was happy with 250g, though I can't remember what type, AA%etc.
What have other people found is a good amount for a good hop punch in the face? doesn't have to be an IPA, but a solid hoppy pale.
Cube hopped :p

After whirlpool, wort was still at about 90 degrees. Hops placed in cube first then hot wort dumped on it.

24 hours later went into the fermenter, hops and all. I only used pilsner malt and some carapils, though the amount of hops change colour a little and made it a tiny bit hazy but not as hazy as something like torpedo.

Sorry I meant did you dry hop as well as cube hop

I recently split a 20l batch of APA to try out different methods. I dida 60 main addition then with 10 mins left I transferred half the batch to a cube with 90g of simcoe. The remaining half I did a 10 mins and 2 x 0 min additions with cascade and chilled this half. Both turned out great. Simcoe had.more flavour and aroma but cascade half had more complexity (for a single hopped beer).

To test further I split another batch but this time cube hopped with the same quantity and variety of hops in used in 10 & 0 mins additions that I then chilled. Tasting will be in about a week for this batch so I'll update.

I've also gone a bit nuts and yesterday cube hopped with 275g of hops for a 20l batch. Prob won't start fermenting this for a couple of weeksnso hopefully the extra contact time won't produce grassy flavours.

Will update bwith results as I go.

I cube hopped a beer a while ago and have done it to every (hoppy) beer since, it turned out great.
Really got that hop flavour and aroma that had been missing from my APA / IPA style beers.
I use beersmith and calculate my cube hops as 0 min "aroma" hops with "no chill" box ticked. Seems to my taste buds to be pretty close with IBU's

FYI -
At flame out I leave for 10 min
Then whirlpool and leave for another 10-15 min
Then transfer to cube with the hops in it
When pouring into fermentor later on I only leave out the thick hop sludge right at the bottom.
Beers turn out nice & clear & hoppy

Ninegrain said:
I cube hopped with 50g of Glacier after leaving the kettle for 10 minutes to settle on my first BIAB last week. I did it by throwing the hops into the cube prior to filling it with the hot wort. Ended up over reducing to 17L, not the intended 20L so just tipped it all into the cube trub and all. Made it up to 23L at 1.057 and pitched last sunday and today its at 1.010 and tasting good. If the same tomorrow I will dry hop ~25g, crash chill for a week, keg and let you know how it tastes :) Glacier is low AA so will see how it went for bitterness and work from there as a baseline for my next batches and more intense hops.

So the schedule above was never followed. I ended up 'lagering' it for almost a month due to laziness and it ended up in bottles. Dry hopped it though like I thought I would. Turned out delicious! Very floral, 'sweet' hop aromas, subtle bitterness and a delicious beer all round. I think I would classify it as a golden ale but with different malt it could have easily been a pilsener I reckon. Will do just that actually, at some point, and repeat this recipe but with pilsener base malt instead of ale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just tasted my first 100% cube hopped beer and to me the bitterness seems low. I caculated them as 20 min additions using 50/50 of Amarillo and Citra equalling 35 IBU. To my tastes it's well below this. (Flavour and aroma are spot on for what I was chasing so still happy with the beer).

Anyway I had a bit of a play around with the existing recipe and wondered if I caculated my cube hopped beers as 60 minutes steep instead of the 20 min boil addition. This brings my recipe down to around 28 IBU instead of 35 IBU which would probably be closer to the mark bitterness wise to my pallet.

I also thinking that cube hopping is closer to a steep then the boil addition anyway. I'm using beersmith mobile 2.2. for these calculations.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks

My wort goes into the cube around 80 degrees and this is the bottom end for aa isomerisation.
What temp is yours when cubing?

manticle said:
My wort goes into the cube around 80 degrees and this is the bottom end for aa isomerisation.
What temp is yours when cubing?
Good point, mine went in straight after the boil so just under to 100 degrees I'd say.

Funnily enough, I tend to use a lot less that the amounts quoted above. I cubed 3 on the weekend, 100g in each. They are a move away from the big IPA's Ive been on over summer toward the APA to about 40IBU with an OG of about 1045 (Calculated not actual)

I'll generally have a go at a few liters first before any keg hopping takes place and a number of the kegs Ive been through have been about half way gone before I get round to giving it a boost.

I dont measure temps on the way to the cube though, enough time has passed though for convection to stop and a decent whirlpool to settle. at 75L it cant cool that fast surely... Been thinking about one of >THESE< though... just coz..

For information sake I've measured the temperature of wort (about 50ish L) and after 20 minute stand it was 97c and after a whirlpool and another stand (40minutes total) it was 95C. From that I just worked backwards and skipped late additions and went with cube hop calculating it as a 20 minute addition. Tastes about spot on but like manticle mentioned it depends on temperature.

Cube hopped my current APA - this is a stuff up brew - for various reasons, it came out as more volume at lower OG, thus IBU was up on what it should have been (thus rendering it an IPA).

Aroma is excellent - but not late hopping flavour. I can get late hopping flavour normally (in non stuff up conditions) and now I can get aroma by cube hopping, thus rendering chilling hoppy beers obsolete for me.

This has turned into a traditional (but lower abv%) IPA - bitter, aromatic, but not VALE:IPA late kettle additions fruit salad. Good beer.

Midnight Brew said:
For information sake I've measured the temperature of wort (about 50ish L) and after 20 minute stand it was 97c and after a whirlpool and another stand (40minutes total) it was 95C. From that I just worked backwards and skipped late additions and went with cube hop calculating it as a 20 minute addition. Tastes about spot on but like manticle mentioned it depends on temperature.
I do a similar stand time as you, Midnight Brew, so will be interesting. I always thought the temp would be a lot lower than that, but there you go.

Cheers.

Just updating the test I did with split batch mentioned above with half the batch(11l) pulled off with 10min to go and cube hopped and the remaining 11l hopped with same amount as cube hop split between 10 &0 min additions then chilled. To mine and a few friends tastes the cube hop version had better flavour but Bitterness was the same. Very big fan of the cube hop results so far.

Samuel Adams said:
I use beersmith and calculate my cube hops as 0 min "aroma" hops with "no chill" box ticked. Seems to my taste buds to be pretty close with IBU's
Can you please point me to where this is as I cannot find it.,

Back