2 step dry hop technique in an original Fermentasaurus

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jollster101

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a Hop Nation XPA FWK in the fermenter at the moment and I have carried out the following steps with regards to the dry hop additions (as recommended by my LHBS):

1 - Added hop addition one at high krausen, popped them in through the top of the 'saurus and didn't bother purging afterwards as the yeast should work out any oxygen that was added.

2 - Added the second hop addition yesterday which is 3 days before I plan to package into the keg (fermentation had finished). Again this was done via the top of the 'saurus but this time with a purge given the yeast had finished doing their thing. As part of the purge I pressurised the 'saurus to 10PSI to prevent the sides collapsing which I have had before when cold crashing.

So the ferment fridge was set to drop to 2C at the same time I added the hops and after 24 hours the fridge has reached its temperature. All the hops have dropped out already and lie in the bottom of the vessel (but not in the collection bottle which is expected).

What I am trying to find out is whether there is a better option for the 2nd hop addition or does it not matter that the hops have dropped out so soon as the flavour will still impart regardless.

How do others do this type of dry hopping in the fermenter?

Cheers

Hi all

I have a Hop Nation XPA FWK in the fermenter at the moment and I have carried out the following steps with regards to the dry hop additions (as recommended by my LHBS):

1 - Added hop addition one at high krausen, popped them in through the top of the 'saurus and didn't bother purging afterwards as the yeast should work out any oxygen that was added.

2 - Added the second hop addition yesterday which is 3 days before I plan to package into the keg (fermentation had finished). Again this was done via the top of the 'saurus but this time with a purge given the yeast had finished doing their thing. As part of the purge I pressurised the 'saurus to 10PSI to prevent the sides collapsing which I have had before when cold crashing.

So the ferment fridge was set to drop to 2C at the same time I added the hops and after 24 hours the fridge has reached its temperature. All the hops have dropped out already and lie in the bottom of the vessel (but not in the collection bottle which is expected).

What I am trying to find out is whether there is a better option for the 2nd hop addition or does it not matter that the hops have dropped out so soon as the flavour will still impart regardless.

How do others do this type of dry hopping in the fermenter?

Cheers
You could try the Moog method.
https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/kk-fermentasaurus-conical-pet-fermenter.93589/page-18

Thanks for the reply.

I have seen that post before and wasn't sure of the ease with which to succeed. I was also a bit concerned about the potential for bugs and beasties getting in with all the extra bits involved.

To add the hops and cold crash at the same time, effectively you dont get contact time. That temp change to cold drop hops, yeast and protiens out of suspension.

I often dry hop twice, once during ferment ( high Krausen ) and then when ferment is finished, purge with Co2, open and drop hops in, re purge again with Co2 and leave at 22c ( typical end ferment temp ) for 3 days, then cold crash.

To add the hops and cold crash at the same time, effectively you dont get contact time. That temp change to cold drop hops, yeast and protiens out of suspension.

I often dry hop twice, once during ferment ( high Krausen ) and then when ferment is finished, purge with Co2, open and drop hops in, re purge again with Co2 and leave at 22c ( typical end ferment temp ) for 3 days, then cold crash.

Thanks for the info. I will just have to wait and see whether the 2nd hop addition at the time I started cold crashing has meant I don't get the full flavour. Maybe I will just have to get another of these FWK's and try it via your method to see whether it makes a difference.

Thanks WEAL, I will have a read.
No worries it is a long drawn out post didn't fancy reading through it again. Been off the heavily hopped AIPA's but getting back into it again now, have a few ideas to play around with for getting and keeping the hop aroma in the keg/bottle longer, I will play around with it before posting as there are a few nay sayers out there.

Back