Cube Hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a brew a couple of days ago, and whirlpooled the wort as I'd normally do.
Rather than adding 100C wort to the cube, I let it sit in the BK for about 45 minutes with the lid on, allowing the temp to drop to exactly 85C.
At that stage, I drained all the wort into a thuroughly sterilized fermenter, along with my hop addition.
Next day, I aerated the wort and added the yeast. It's currently fermenting away full throttle :)

It will be interesting to see how it turns out, if it doesn't work, I'll give up on the no-chill and move over to chilling. So far the best fruity flavours has come from beers I've chilled in an ice bath (before I went to a bigger brewery size)...

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
I'm cube hopping my 10 minute additions and treating them as 15 min additions in the software and that works very well for me.
Sounds good, I imagine cube hopping is not going to add a whole heap of extra bitterness. I'll give that a go Lord Raja

Cube hopping does give a bit more bitterness than you might expect. But it's a more smooth rounded bitterness.

To counter this you can just dial back your 90/60min addition a touch.

My normal hopping is 60min, cube hop(20 mins), dry hop.

Do a brew, see what you think, adjust or repeat next brew.

I understand that it's common to add cube hops as 20min additions in Beersmith. Could someone please guide me in the right direction for when to actually add the hops for the recipe below as I want to no-chill.

Brewer: Trevor Mitchell
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 26.84 l
Post Boil Volume: 24.79 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 l
Bottling Volume: 19.49 l
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 7.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 37.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 79.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.65 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 1 93.9 %
0.30 kg Crystal, Medium (Simpsons) (55.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.1 %
12.75 g Magnum [12.50 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 3 19.2 IBUs
25.49 g Cascade [6.90 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 4 17.7 IBUs
0.50 Items Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 5 -
25.00 g Cascade [6.90 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 7 -
25.00 g Cascade [6.90 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: APA1
Total Grain Weight: 4.96 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 13.84 l of water at 74.9 C 67.0 C 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 3 steps (Drain mash tun , 10.73l, 8.18l) of 78.0 C water
Notes:

Thanks
Trev

It's tricky to no chill 0min additions. I no chill but use a hop rocket/plate chiller for beers with late hop character. Before the rocket setup I'd let the kettle drop in temp to under 90, cube, then chuck in the pool to speed up the cooling. I'd count the 45min addition as a 60 as well because of the time delay.Generally I think no chilling is better off with a bittering addition at 60 and a 20 min ( cubed) and then dry hop.
cheers

I think I'll swap to 60min Magnum and Cascade, add a 20min (cube hop) and dry hop 1g/L to the same IBUs. Thanks for the responses.

Hey guys,

Just a quick report back on the 85C/Cube addition experiment, as I just tested the gravity (dropped from 1.060 to 1.015 now, still fermenting away though)

YUM! :D
The flavour from the citra addition is really noticeable, on par with my previously chilled version.
I think this no-chill business might still have a chance at the Bosco Brewhouse ;)

Cheers
Martin

LiquidGold said:
First time cube hopping and first AG IPA so really looking forward to tasting it!
Already had a couple of tasters after 12-14 days in the bottle and I am very impressed. I'm definately going to be using lots more cube additions from now on.

I've had a sneaky early bottle of my brew and it's very delicious! The missus reckons it is "the best IPA yet" :D

I did another brew a few days ago, and it was a porter, using Saaz hops.
I have to say, that my previous unfortunate experience with cube hopping has completely dissipated.
The only thing that I will do from here on in, is add the wort to the cube at below 85C if I'm chasing hop aroma/ flavour, rather than bitterness. Otherwise, it seems the BrewMate calculations are pretty spot on.

I'm doing a Saison next, where I'll be chasing some aroma from the Summer (AU) hops addition, so I'll follow the technique I used with the IPA.

Cheers
Martin

I've experimented lately with letting the wort cool down in the kettle to 85deg before adding 0min addition, I then whirlpool and let stand for 10-15mins before cubing. Seems to work well, just needed to adjust the early additions by 15mins.

One of the only things about cube hopping that pisses me off is the size of the opening in the cube.. makes getting the hops in there a PITA.. so to that end, the other night I spat the dummy and made this up

Cube Hopping.JPG
©

Aah.. much better, The funnel has been cut on an angle as well to enlarge the open side, is a much simpler method than any Ive tried before, did 3 cubes in no time yesterday...

Win

I fold a piece of paper into a cone, seems to do the trick for me.
I like the funnel idea, but don't understand why it has to have a screw on lid to the cube? can't you just hold it?

Have a big automotive funnel for mine, $2 at Kmart and its red so it goes faster.

seehuusen said:
I like the funnel idea, but don't understand why it has to have a screw on lid to the cube? can't you just hold it?
I too employ the cone. Usually just the recipe notes I've printed out combined with my mad origami skillz.

seehuusen said:
how would I hold my beer?

;)

LOL x2 on using the recipe notes :) This beer holding thing isn't a bad idea, I am usually forced to take a big swig of beer prior to pouring the hops in, those 5 seconds would make me very thirsty otherwise LOL :D

Yob said:
One of the only things about cube hopping that pisses me off is the size of the opening in the cube.. makes getting the hops in there a PITA.. so to that end, the other night I spat the dummy and made this up
I just use those round plastic takeaway containers that you get from your local Thai joint, weigh up your hops in one of them, then just give it a squeeze and then pour em in. Easy.

Back