crush gap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thickness of an EB Games club card until it's just marking the card a little...
I've been meaning to break out the feeler gauge and test what that actually is, but I'm getting good efficiency now so meh

1.1 mm in the original MillMaster.

Mash efficiency is never less than 90% in my 3V system.

sp0rk said:
The thickness of an EB Games club card until it's just marking the card a little...
I've been meaning to break out the feeler gauge and test what that actually is, but I'm getting good efficiency now so meh
See now that's what I'm after, some originality. Haha nice gauge mate.

Camo6 said:
My Mashmaster minimill is at 1.4 mm atm and while it's a nice looking crush and filters beautifully I think it's the cause of my efficiency drop. I had it at 1.1mm but opened it up due to sticking mash beds which I suspect were more likely caused by changes to my system and process. Serves myself right for making more than one change at a time.
Exactly the same problems I had with this mill. I went from 0.9 mm on my home made mill and around 80% efficiency, to 1.4 mm and 70% efficiency on a 3V Herms system. Stuck mash every time at anything less than 1.4. Im not worried about efficiency so much, but when I dropped down to 60% while trying to sort out my crush issues, I nearly went back to my old mill (which was a time consuming was to crush grain, it would take 20 - 25 minutes to do the crush for 7-8 kgs, and I had to be there all that time).
Cheers
LB

Hey LB, I probably should clarify that I think my original cause for sticking mashes was due to a change in my sparge/return arm. My old setup using a ring of silicone hose created enough resistance that I could run my pumps flat out without sticking the mash. Then I installed an auto sparge that produces very little resistance when recircing but I unwittingly continued to run my pumps at close to full flow which caused compaction of the grain bed.
I reset my mill to 1.1mm last night, set my efficiency back to 75% and hit a higher preboil SG than expected without recirc issues and the pumps throttled right back. Lesson: change one thing at a time.

Back