Crown Urn Sight Tube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodolphe01

Reaction score
I KNOW I have read it somewhere here on AHB but can't find it now... What is the size of thread of a crown urn sight tube? I pulled my urn out to brew today and the tube is snapped off, shit. I took the day off work to brew too! It looks about M6 to me, but i've been off the tools for years now and don't have any thread gauges anymore.

I just want to wack a bolt in the hole to plug it because I don't use the sight tube.

Cheers.

Don't have an answer for the tube.

Though, it seems pretty consistant that people have trouble with the sight tube. For whatever reason this is, i don't know. It seems as though we would do pretty well if somebody would have an off the shelf part to replace it with something else. i.e. tube snaps, throw in bin and add one of those temp dials with integrated sight tube etc. Seems it just needs to be heavier duty.

If something like that was available, i'd buy one just to have ready.

Took a $0.30 punt and it is M6 :)

Yea I hear you, I don't event know how it broke. I was filling my urn last night to have it ready first thing this morning and noticed water was pissing from the botton of tube right where it enters the elbow. I guess I bumped it somehow.

I suppose nanna at the church luncheon doesn't shift her urn around as much as a brewer does.

I broke mine off at the bottom about two days ago aswell. Not having a screw that would fit and not wanting to muck around finding/buying a replacement new sight tube I filed down a 1cm section on the bottom of the sightglass (to reduced the OD) then used the elbow as a die to create a new thread.
Took a little bit of convincing (had to use pliers to hold the glass and a screwdriver in the elbow for torque) but I created a new thread without cracking the tube.

So M6 is the answer, good to know. Seriously though, i would have thought with things such as the 40L urn being so popular somebody would have a selection of off the shelf parts for upgrades etc. Upgrades to temp control, possibly an insulation wrap, tap & sight glass.

Back