Crown Urn - Sight Gauge to Temp Probe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Reaction score
I have a crown urn at the moment which I am looking to pimp out into a recirculating BIAB type setup with a pump and the matho controller that's in progress in another thread.

I don't use the sight gauge on the crown and wondered if others have removed it and used the existing hole to insert a thermometer / temperature probe either from a STC-1000 or a matho controller probe and if so how was it done? I don't want to be damaging the crown in anyway, just replacing what I have there currently so it can be swapped back if needed.

Thanks

The sight tube can be unscrewed... but go carefully as it may have gone brittle if the urn is a bit old. Then you'll be able to see what the thread is.

ed: Ross sells replacement tubes for about $10 and I keep forgetting to pick one up on my trips to Brisbane :angry:

Bribie G said:
The sight tube can be unscrewed... but go carefully as it may have gone brittle if the urn is a bit old. Then you'll be able to see what the thread is.
Ahh yes thanks. I guess that is what I am asking. What fitting can replace this and how do you attach the probe to it without causing leaks or issues.

I bet Tidal Pete would know, he lives and breathes thermowells and probes :p

Looking at my Crown, the obvious route would be to completely remove the bottom sight tube fitting and introduce a thermowell through the resulting hole. That way if necessary the fitting can be replaced in the future.

Why not blank off that hole with a SS nut and bolt and silicone washers, then drop a thermowell in through the urn lid using a hole and a keg dip tube that's been flattened / welded at the bottom?

ed: by going in at the bottom of the urn near the element I'd guess you will never get an accurate temp reading, whereas by putting the probe to one side in the main body of the wort you've got a better chance. ??

Hmm... that's something to ponder I guess. Maybe I need to look into a creating a custom lid for the wort return tubing and a thermowell.... somehow.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back