Crowd Pleaser Ale.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70

Le roi est mort..
Reaction score
With an imminent warming of the house approaching, I would like to showcase my home brewing awesomeness to the masses by way of a keg or two of hand made beer. Has anybody got a recipe or two they've had luck with in the past?
I don't really want to resort to a megaswill clone, but maby one keg of 'New' and another of something a little more interesting may be the go.
I don't have time for a larger, actually I only have about four weeks, so best if they can be consumed young.

cheers

The easiest crowd pleaser is JSGA; (DrSmurto's) always gets the crowd going and 4 weeks will be ok.

QldKev

75% Ale
25% Vienna

Bitter to 20 with your favourite bittering hop
1g/l @ 20 Columbus (or your favourite flavour hop)
1g/l @ 5 Columbus (or your favourite hop)

i've done it a few times and is always a hit with everyone. simple yet effective.

I hvae traditionally done it with Chinese cluster to bitter and Chinese Marco Polo for flavour and aroma... :ph34r:

Whats Columbus like at 20 and 5?? Only used it to bitter.

The easiest crowd pleaser is JSGA; (DrSmurto's) always gets the crowd going and 4 weeks will be ok.

QldKev
+1 for DrSmurtos Golden Ale. Did this with a 34/70 lager yeast instead of US05 for a mates birthday at his parents winery last weekend. The keg didn't last long and the next day people were still raving about it.

The good Dr's JSGA and a wheat, 50/50, fermented low @ 18/19 with WB06. Bitter to 20IBU with low alpha hop and maybe flavour @10mins with something spicy, 1g/l.

Whats Columbus like at 20 and 5?? Only used it to bitter.

Magnificent. I find it a harsh bittering hop so I love to use it late. The aroma and flavour you get from Columbus shits all over Cascade in terms of pungency and complexity. I prefer it to Amarillo as well incidentally.

Smurto's JSGA is a good beer but it can be considered too dark for many beer drinkers (my experience only)...the first taste is with the eye. My beer swilling brothers that go for my beers generally also find the Amarillo hit a bit too fruity for their liking.

could Try Ross's Nelson or Tony's LCBA...they have a tendedncy to be clean crisp and blow people away too.

The JSGA idea is tops and shall be done, I don't know anyone who doesn't like it.
Both Screwy and Smurto seem to have great recipes in the DB. Good stuff, cheers!

I have a keg of smurtos GA for a party tonight but sad thing is it is very young. 1 week in fermenter, one week secondary and then into keg yesterday morning, gassed last night to drink tonight, hopefully it will be ok

I supply the beer for an annual camping trip with non brewers which was 2 weekends ago.

Golden ale is mandatory, their rule not mine.

3 years running i have taken it and 3 years running i have come back with empty kegs. They even smashed the homegrown chinook rye ale and an english bitter.

EDIT - grammar

Please expand, I've pretty much done a wheat exactly to that except for the flavour/10mins. I'd be interested in your thoughts on that. What hop do you recommend and what is the idea of 1g/l? :beerbang:

Please expand, I've pretty much done a wheat exactly to that except for the flavour/10mins. I'd be interested in your thoughts on that. What hop do you recommend and what is the idea of 1g/l? :beerbang:

I like to throw a late hop in there just to mix it up a little. No point making a beer I can buy, I want it just the way I like it. Last time I made this it was NZ Hallertau for bittering and flavour, wich was about 1.5g/l @ 10mins. At 9% alpha it was not so noble, but made a nice beer none the less. The low yeast temp throws the right amount of banana for me (ie not much) and has some lovely cloves. A nice spicy hop to add some more complexity is the go I reckon. Beer would still be well quaffable without the late addition though. Depends what you are after...

I've had good success with Nelson Sauvin SMaSH pale ales.

Keep it relatively simple; 100% Pilsner malt, US05 yeast, 20-30 IBU with plenty of late additions for nice fruity aromatics.

All good suggestions so far.

Golden Ale is a ripper, lower IBUs slightly if desired.

CPA, simple and familiar to most people.

Hefe, 50/50 wheat/pils, 15IBU, fermented in 7 days, then drink... take your pick on yeast, IMO WB-06 does pretty well and I recently tried 3056 which produces a well rounded mild wheat beer.

Back