Cricketers Arms Spearhead Pale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy_Chil

Reaction score
I have got a little attached to the Cricketers Arms Spearhead Pale Ale of recent months, generally purchased in cans for camping trips because I don't like to take glass camping (also can't be arsed bottling).
Can anybody who has tasted this brew give me a nudge for a recipe?
The carton has a screed about using Amarillo and Nelson Sauvin.
No idea where to begin for a grain bill. The beer has quite a sweet mouth feel??

Agreed, that this is a great option for those looking for cans. I was surprised at how good this beer is when I tried it for the first time a few weeks ago. $18 per 10-pack at Dan's this month puts them under $2 per can, which is better than most other options.

Grain bill clues can be found here:
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/cricketers-arms-spearhead-pale-ale/308169/

Not sure if you'd class Munich (I or II, light or dark) as a specialty malt (as you can use it for 100% of grain bill for other beers) but I'd start with:
85% pale
10% munich
5% carared (or other medium caramel/crystal malt around the same colour: http://kotmf.com/articles/maltnames.php )

The do mention the "caramel backbone" so another starting point might be:
94% pale
3% carared (or similar)
3% caraaroma (or similar)
So, a mix of cara/crystal to achieve the desired colour. Could be 4% carared, 2% caraaroma, or whatever.

They also could be talking about wheat as a specialty malt, but we know this does nothing for the "caramel" flavours, which make me think it is probably 2 different caramalts. I'm just guessing of course!

Hops seems straight forward from the info given:
Bitter with whatever you like (I think it was ~25IBU?) but I'd just use Amarillo or Nelson Sauvin, both are high alpha so it won't need much.
5/10min/flameout/whirlpool addition of Amarillo
dry hop with Nelson, probably 2-3g per litre, as per your preference or hop supply.

Hope the brew goes well.

Only problem is.. Nelson sauvin is out of action at the moment!!! Would love to make this beer.

Only problem is.. Nelson sauvin is out of action at the moment!!! Would love to make this beer.

Thanks pacey.
I have a little stash of Nelson Sauvin hidden away so will have a play.
The general consensus on the rate beer site link provided was a little grim??
I think this beer is very drinkable, especially given the price and can availability!

Hallertau Blanc may fit the bill in Nelson's absence.
Not a bad beer but no bitterness at all.
18 IBU or something.

Latest posts

Back