150 Lashes clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackgym

Reaction score
Hi brewers

The 2nd last brew I put down is a 150 Lashes clone.

1 can of Coopers Aust. Pale Ale
1 kg of light dry malt
12g Amarillo hops (steeped in boiling water)
US-05 yeast
25g Nelson Sauvin hops (dry hopped)

After 2 weeks I tried a bottle and it has the classic sweetness of 150 Lashes but it doesn't linger on the palate. Is that because it hasn't been bottled long enough or is it the hopping methods?

my guess would be choice of ingredients / method, i've tried doing something similar to JS150 quite a few times with varied success & failures but my last brew is the best so far.

just a suggestion, but i would ditch any kit can and go for malts only, varying your hop additions until your happy enough with it, you'll get close but exactly is something i never try for anymore, it's like trying to find the secret herbs & spices of KFC.

here's my last brew recipe if your interested, feel free to muck around with it if you want...

23 ltr brew

1x 1.5kg can of Coopers Wheat Malt (gives it tartness which balances the sweetness)
1x 1.5kg can of Coopers Light Dry Malt
500gm of Coopers brew enhancer 2
500gm of Carahell (steeped for 30 mins @ 68 deg C )
15gm of Amarillo - bittering - rolling boil @ 30mins
15gm of Nelson Sauvin & 5gm of Willamette - Flavour @ 15mins
5gm of Nelson Sauvin & 5gm of Willamette - Aroma @ 5mins or flame out.
1x US-05 yeast.

I add half the can of LDM & an extra 2ltrs of boiled water to the steepings for the 30min boil to give the hop flavour something to stick to, but generally not a fan of boiling extracts so i don't add anymore than this, seems to work ok for me but i'm sure others will correct me on my method.

back off the hop amounts if you prefer a less hoppy beer and make sure all your malts are fresh or it will turn out darker.

hope that helps or gives you some ideas, make sure to get back to us with your recipe when you nail it!

Latest posts

Back