Cream on top of boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

checkers

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just punching out my first all grain bias beer today..
I've done lots of LDME boil ups but never noticed this before..
It's like when oxygen has gotten into my fermenter before and I've had a clear scum on top of my beer.

Is this normal or is the boiling wort slowly eating away at the silicone I put around the selfless ball valve and 2200w keg king element?? ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1439115849.534544.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1439115899.067489.jpg

That looks like a normal boil to me.

When oxygen got into your fermentor and you got a clear scum on top that sounds like an infection.

Scum during boil = normal. Scum after fermentation has finished = bad (unless it's just krausen sticking around).

Scum? In beer production? What kind of scum? Who'd have thought?

In all seriousness of experience there are always variations of every different brew. I was confused at transitions from extract to all grain its all normal. End results will impress you. That is the usual scenario.

Yea it was an infection.. I dry hopped too late, let all the co2 escape and then got busy and didn't keg for a few weeks after..I think it was from oxygen sitting on the beer.
Lesson learned!!
I'll check the silicone after boil is done but just thought I'd throw it out there.
I let this boil over while I was trying to get it to boil so maybe that has something to do with it

Danscraftbeer said:
Scum? In beer production? What kind of scum? Who'd of thought?

In all seriousness of experience there are always variations of every different brew. I was confused at transitions from extract to all grain its all normal. End results will impress you. That is the usual scenario.
Cheers bud..
Like I said there's shit everywhere from the boil over.
I expected white foam around the edges but not this thin crystal silicone like layer..

Just a noob freaking out ;-P

Back