Crankandstein 3d Help.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidiemma

Reaction score
I have a crankandstein 3D which I mounted between a homemade hopper and baseplate. I put covers on the open sides of the mill to stop grain falling out the sides rather than down through the baseplate into a bucket.
I have seen other setups where the mill is mounted under the baseplate so there is no need to cover the open sides of the mill.
My question is - is it o.k to put covers on the side of the mill or does it clog up? obviously i have not used my setup yet.
Also what are the long "wingnut type" bolts for on the side?

I have a crankandstein 3D which I mounted between a homemade hopper and baseplate. I put covers on the open sides of the mill to stop grain falling out the sides rather than down through the baseplate into a bucket.
I have seen other setups where the mill is mounted under the baseplate so there is no need to cover the open sides of the mill.
My question is - is it o.k to put covers on the side of the mill or does it clog up? obviously i have not used my setup yet.

Gooday David I have owned and used a 3D since 2006. I fitted the plates you asked about and motorised the mill when it arrived. I have never had a problem with the mill clogging up. My mill does not have wingnuts on the side so I cant help you with this part of your query.
Cheers Altstart

The wingnuts are detent adjusters. I feed mine through a 50mm funnel style hopper and drive it with a variable speed drill. A TIP TO REMEMBER: - Run the mill a few turns and feed a little grain in to engage the slave rollers before filling the hopper.

Hope this helps,

Screwy

As noted the wingnuts are detent screws - loosen them to adjust then tighten (but not over tighten) them. I forgot to tighten one day and one wiggled out and fell along with some bits that I had to retrieve from the crushed malt!
I have mounted mine under some wood. I have no problems with starting under a full hopper but the ultimate drive is fairly grunty.
Dodgy YouTube video

Last edited by a moderator:
The wingnuts are for as stated above.
The funnel in the pic below is hassle-free & much more fun to make up.

TP
Crankenstein_3_Roller.JPG

The wingnuts are for as stated above.
The funnel in the pic below is hassle-free & much more fun to make up.

TP
View attachment 26307

Cheers mate - nice pic; I see you also covered the sides of your mill, and obvoiusly have no problems there.
Did you put longer wingnut/bolts to compensate for the thickness of the wood and still hold your detents in?

Cheers mate - nice pic; I see you also covered the sides of your mill, and obvoiusly have no problems there.
Did you put longer wingnut/bolts to compensate for the thickness of the wood and still hold your detents in?

Yes I did David. I used ss set screws (Similar to bolts but with the thread all the way up), cut off the hex heads & silver solded on ss wing nuts in their place.
No real need to go to all that trouble though.

TP

Latest posts

Back