Craft Beer Industry Concerns - what is and isn't craft beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing that I did have recently that was watery pus, Mountain Goat Surefoot Stout from a can. It tasted like a stout blended with 1/3 soda water. Basically looked like coke, maybe even a bit lighter. This is what happens when 'craft' breweries want to up their production and outsource it, these were brewed at Asahi's Melbourne brewery, same place as cricketers arms and steamrail etc.

wide eyed and legless, on 05 Jun 2015 - 11:19 AM, said:
wide eyed and legless said:
Would Little Creatures Pale Ale have been the cash bonanza it was for its original brewers if the mega-breweries which bought the brand were compelled to continue producing the beer the same way it was in the beginning? To change the recipe or processes to produce the watery version we know today (compared with the original) the mega-brewery would risk losing the craft accreditation symbol, and thus we would know its not the same beer before buying it.
Don't recall saying that, not a beer I would normally buy unless the only other choices were VB or Carlton Draught, if someone has a good memory for taste they would tell the difference between the original and the replicated one.

Bribie G said:
And didn't Stone and Wood "craftwash" a beer by having it contract brewed by CUB or something similar.

Actually my favourite go-to beer on tap when I'm in Newcastle is Murray's Moon Boy ale, it's an honest 4.5% quaffer made on Pilsner malt, as they state, with a well balanced hit of NZ hops and doesn't pretend to be the next Sierra Nevada clone. Fantastic beer to simply hammer a few schooners whilst on the pokies and you don't need to have a beard to enjoy it.
That was Byron Bay Brewery not Stone and Wood.

I'd say Craft Beer = quality over quantity, no adjuncts to boost gravity (and lower costs) and small scale. This results in a way more expensive six pack, something which turns off mainstream punters right away. I asked a beer loving mate what he would buy if given $70 at Dan Murphys and he said 2 x slabs of VB. So while I drink craft beer I understand it can be costly to do that, and that's why I homebrew.

After just spending $90 on 12 beers at slowbeer this week for research purposes sometimes I wish that I could still be satisfied with a carton of vb

michaeld16 said:
After just spending $90 on 12 beers at slowbeer this week for research purposes sometimes I wish that I could still be satisfied with a carton of vb
Chill it so cold you almost can't taste it, get yourself into a hot climate and it's actually an ideal drop. Anything outside those two parameters and you want nothing to do with it.

michaeld16 said:
Maybe we could go back to calling it boutique beer. But that was a bit gay
Careful, don't get yourself into trouble doock.

grott said:
I may be old fashioned but IMO I've always believed "craft" made to be something made personally, by hand, skilled based and with limitations on output. To me I make craft beer, start producing in mass I would suggest the craft aspect is gone. One thing though, a lot of "craft beers" are called that so they can charge heaps, a bit like some "organic" products or " glutton" free. Not everything is as it seems.

Cheers

I would agree but I really cringe whenever I see the word 'craft' in front of it because it reminds of those damn 'craft' shops that are ubiquitously present in tourist towns like Hahndorf I(SA), Olinda (Vic) or Kuranda in QLD, to me seem to purvey overpriced crap that nobody needs. Being a practical person I think the pet hate of this stems from always being dragged into craft shops by wimmin who like to potter in there completely oblivious to price.

The Webster definition of 'craft' is:

: an activity that involves making something in a skillful way by using your hands
: a job or activity that requires special skill

pretty confusing though it does imply the more automated and machine dependent your production is the less 'crafty' it is... other searches suggest a 'craft' beer should be small, independent and traditional.

As such it has just become a marketing term to differentiate beer from megaswill but of course gets buggered along the way with the big guys trying to cash in on the gravy train. The analogy with the 'organic' marketing term has been mentioned as well, quite aptly.

If I were commercial I'd be more than happy to differentiate my beer by claiming origin as "microbrewed" and let the quality and price speak for itself.

I don't buy into beer marketing BS. Imagine if all beer was black and white and you had no idea where it came from. weather it be Craft V non Craft. If you drink a beer and enjoy it drink it!

If the brewer/organisation cares about the quality of the liquid more than the bottom line.......that's craft.

Wouldn't the definition of craftsman better explain the argument of the topic. A Man or Woman that practices the art of perfection in a single trade?

BottloBill said:
Wouldn't the definition of craftsman better explain the argument of the topic. A Man or Woman that practices the art of perfection in a single trade?
[SIZE=medium]Very good point.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium](and apologies in advance for what turned out to be a long reply)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]If the notion of craftsmanship is pursued to its end I think we’ll find that none of the beers that claim to be craft beers are that at all. Beers made by commercial breweries and, I would think, just about all home brewers are far removed from what craftsmanship really is in its purest form.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Let me explain what I mean by way of an anecdote.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Way back in 1976 I went to South Africa to visit a mate before heading off up north on a road trip to Europe. My mate had just graduated as a systems analyst and working for a computer company in Durban that was automating a paper mill, and I was taken to have a look. It was a big, hot, noisy plant comprising two long production lines. At one end the pulp was taken up on a series of rollers and fed through dryers to the other end of the plant where the finished roll (the size of a small car) was released. A critical attribute of the finished paper was its water content which had to be about 11 per cent (from memory) which was measured by sensors as part of the computerised production process, and the speed of the various rollers was adjusted by the computer to achieve this result. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The computer itself was a row of cabinets with blinking lights and those old reel-to-reel program tapes spinning inside – reminded me of Lost in Space. I guess this was state of the art gear back then, but by modern standards it probably had about as much computer grunt of an STC 1000 has today. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Only one of the production lines was computerised – the other one was still manually controlled by a team of Zulu workers. I noticed that one of the Zulus, a wrinkled old man, would go up to the paper rolls that came off the manual line and placed his hand on the warm paper surface for a few seconds, then go and write something down in a book on a nearby table. I asked my mate what he was doing. He said, “He’s our competition and he’s hard to beat”. He explained that the old man had worked at the paper mill all his life, and he could tell the water content of the finished roll by laying his palm on its surface. And he was always right.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The old Zulu was a craftsman. He had learned through years of repetition and experience what 11 per cent water content felt like. And the paper he and his workmates produced was a product of that craftsmanship, whereas the computerised plant’s paper was – what? – something else? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]So how to apply this notion of craftmanship to the making of craft beer? A craft brewer worthy of the name in its purest sense should learn his craft through his own senses and not through instruments and devices. He will bring his mash water up to strike temperature not by using a thermometer, but by watching the water vapour wisp up from the surface. And he knows that it looks different depending on the weather – in summer the water vapour is almost imperceptible, but in the cold of winter it will appear thick, almost smoky, as more vapour condenses in the cold air. But through years of observing, and perhaps learing from a master in his early years, he has learned his craft and he knows when the liquor is ready for the grain. And of course he would also touch the mash to know when the temperature is right, just as a nursing mother might splash a few drops of warmed milk on the back of her hand to determine if the bottle of milk is right to feed her baby.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The grain bill itself would not be weighed. Just as a chef making a sauce or dressing may not measure out the ingredients but observe the changing appearance and consistency of the food in the pan or bowl, neither will the craft brewer. He will know by the appearance of the mash and the resistance he feels from his mash paddle just how much grain is enough for the beer he is making. Neither will the craft brewer use calibration markings on his grain mill to get the grist he wants. He will start the mill and collect a handful of the first crushed grain as it leaves the mill, and rub it between his fingers. He knows when the mill is adjusted correctly by the gritty feel of the grain.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A craft brewer will not set a timer for his mash nor look at a watch or clock. He knows from brewing in the same place for years how the light changes in the brew shed, how the shadows shorten or lengthen with the passage of time. And he tastes the mash and can tell when it is as sweet as it can be. Similarly, during the boil he knows when to add hops, and he tastes of the wort to know when he has added enough.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]So in its purest sense a craft beer would be one made by a craftsman who is in harmony with his surroundings, ingredients and experience and is less reliant on instruments and measuring devices. This is how beer was made up until the scientific revolution of the past few hundred years, and few if any beers like this are made by us today. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]All the more reason perhaps to discard the word ‘craft’ from brewing and find some other tag. But let’s not abandon the pursuit of craftsmanship all together. In spite of all the gauges, PIDs, hydrometers and other tools we use, craftmanship is a quality that can not only make us better brewers but also better people.[/SIZE]

Feldon said:
Very good point.

(and apologies in advance for what turned out to be a long reply)

If the notion of craftsmanship is pursued to its end I think we’ll find that none of the beers that claim to be craft beers are that at all. Beers made by commercial breweries and, I would think, just about all home brewers are far removed from what craftsmanship really is in its purest form.

Let me explain what I mean by way of an anecdote.

Way back in 1976 I went to South Africa to visit a mate before heading off up north on a road trip to Europe. My mate had just graduated as a systems analyst and working for a computer company in Durban that was automating a paper mill, and I was taken to have a look. It was a big, hot, noisy plant comprising two long production lines. At one end the pulp was taken up on a series of rollers and fed through dryers to the other end of the plant where the finished roll (the size of a small car) was released. A critical attribute of the finished paper was its water content which had to be about 11 per cent (from memory) which was measured by sensors as part of the computerised production process, and the speed of the various rollers was adjusted by the computer to achieve this result.

The computer itself was a row of cabinets with blinking lights and those old reel-to-reel program tapes spinning inside – reminded me of Lost in Space. I guess this was state of the art gear back then, but by modern standards it probably had about as much computer grunt of an STC 1000 has today.

Only one of the production lines was computerised – the other one was still manually controlled by a team of Zulu workers. I noticed that one of the Zulus, a wrinkled old man, would go up to the paper rolls that came off the manual line and placed his hand on the warm paper surface for a few seconds, then go and write something down in a book on a nearby table. I asked my mate what he was doing. He said, “He’s our competition and he’s hard to beat”. He explained that the old man had worked at the paper mill all his life, and he could tell the water content of the finished roll by laying his palm on its surface. And he was always right.

The old Zulu was a craftsman. He had learned through years of repetition and experience what 11 per cent water content felt like. And the paper he and his workmates produced was a product of that craftsmanship, whereas the computerised plant’s paper was – what? – something else?

So how to apply this notion of craftmanship to the making of craft beer? A craft brewer worthy of the name in its purest sense should learn his craft through his own senses and not through instruments and devices. He will bring his mash water up to strike temperature not by using a thermometer, but by watching the water vapour wisp up from the surface. And he knows that it looks different depending on the weather – in summer the water vapour is almost imperceptible, but in the cold of winter it will appear thick, almost smoky, as more vapour condenses in the cold air. But through years of observing, and perhaps learing from a master in his early years, he has learned his craft and he knows when the liquor is ready for the grain. And of course he would also touch the mash to know when the temperature is right, just as a nursing mother might splash a few drops of warmed milk on the back of her hand to determine if the bottle of milk is right to feed her baby.

The grain bill itself would not be weighed. Just as a chef making a sauce or dressing may not measure out the ingredients but observe the changing appearance and consistency of the food in the pan or bowl, neither will the craft brewer. He will know by the appearance of the mash and the resistance he feels from his mash paddle just how much grain is enough for the beer he is making. Neither will the craft brewer use calibration markings on his grain mill to get the grist he wants. He will start the mill and collect a handful of the first crushed grain as it leaves the mill, and rub it between his fingers. He knows when the mill is adjusted correctly by the gritty feel of the grain.

A craft brewer will not set a timer for his mash nor look at a watch or clock. He knows from brewing in the same place for years how the light changes in the brew shed, how the shadows shorten or lengthen with the passage of time. And he tastes the mash and can tell when it is as sweet as it can be. Similarly, during the boil he knows when to add hops, and he tastes of the wort to know when he has added enough.

So in its purest sense a craft beer would be one made by a craftsman who is in harmony with his surroundings, ingredients and experience and is less reliant on instruments and measuring devices. This is how beer was made up until the scientific revolution of the past few hundred years, and few if any beers like this are made by us today.

All the more reason perhaps to discard the word ‘craft’ from brewing and find some other tag. But let’s not abandon the pursuit of craftsmanship all together. In spite of all the gauges, PIDs, hydrometers and other tools we use, craftmanship is a quality that can not only make us better brewers but also better people.
+1 this is a very good representation thus definition as such

[SIZE=medium]A craft brewer will not set a timer for his mash nor look at a watch or clock.[/SIZE]
Might get a bit tricky to bet the IBU target in the boiling of the hops part though. B)

Goose said:
Might get a bit tricky to bet the IBU target in the boiling of the hops part though. B)
I think you may have entirely missed the point I was making.

I hate dropping into a bottleshop, grabbing a six pack of what looks to be a beer from a new craft brewery (I want to support new small breweries) only to find when I get home that it has no flavour and it is in fact from a megaswill brewery. They need to wack the big boys hard when they mislead consumers, as it impacts the small guys (I'm less likely to try something new I've never heard of after being burnt a couple of times).

MarkyMark said:
I hate dropping into a bottleshop, grabbing a six pack of what looks to be a beer from a new craft brewery (I want to support new small breweries) only to find when I get home that it has no flavour and it is in fact from a megaswill brewery. They need to wack the big boys hard when they mislead consumers, as it impacts the small guys (I'm less likely to try something new I've never heard of after being burnt a couple of times).
they did. all of them now have to be labeled as such

Back