Couple of hot days in Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottling at 1.030.. rarely a good idea. At least *please* open the first few away from small children, adorable grandmas, anyone else you especially don't want to be injured by glass shrapnel.

You didn't answer my question - were you measuring with a hydrometer or a refractometer? It can make a lot of difference.

Bottling at 1.030.. rarely a good idea. At least *please* open the first few away from small children, adorable grandmas, anyone else you especially don't want to be injured by glass shrapnel.

You didn't answer my question - were you measuring with a hydrometer or a refractometer? It can make a lot of difference.
Yeah look I thought my gravity was to high to bottle before it was suggested.

I used a hydrometer which was measuring what I perceive as accurately in plain tap water.

Fair nuff. Hoping for the best, in any case.

Hey, mate. I'm no expert as I've only started in this business after long while out just recently. I reckon if it doesn't smell or taste too bad just bottle the stuff. In the end it's just a learning experience. You may even try to open a bottle a week and give it a taste and note if and how the tastes have mellowed.

US-05 generally has a tolerance upto 25C. Generally you'd like it lower but if you're like me sometimes the unpredictable melbourne weather just comes out of no where.

The final gravity seems a bit high but you can just say it's a mid-strength. Not sure how to get it going again. My brew above did a similar thing and stopped after it got too warm. I think the yeast might have cooked.

One thing I haven't tried and might work, which you will need to ask others about, is to transfer to a secondary, add more sugar and yeast and start the fermentation again.

Some here would recommend throwing the stuff away but I hate to waste good alcohol when so many people go without. If you can't stomach the stuff you could even bung it into a distilling machine and turn it to booze.

Sorry I couldn't help more.
Bottling too early can lead to dangerous explosions. Flavour issues are of concern too, most definitely but pale in comparison to what exploding glass can do to an eye.

Don't 'just bottle'

As for hesitant to bottle at high gravity like 1.030. I had rare occasions of this in the past and I fixed it with brewing enzyme.
Very carefully done as to hydrate the enzyme in a cup of sterile water then added to the fermenter, sealed, swirled gently to mix and left for another week at least. End result happened to ferment out to 1.000 for an Amber Ale. It was supposed to finish at 1.010.
Eg: Amber Ale. Finished at 1.022. Added Enzyme mixed left for a week ended at 1.000.
Moral of the story is you cant fix some fucked up beers but it was a very good drinking beer actually the down side, or upside?
is that supposed 5% beer ended up 4% and far too sweet then fixed with enzyme and upped it to a 6.4% beer. Thinking that should be extremely dry it was not. It was very drinkable. Far more drinkable to a heavy sweet beer IMO.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/282026649628
$14 on eBay. Use it till you get the ink bird which has compressor protection, then after that use it to control your heat belt or something.

I ended up getting a heating belt off ebay for $20 and a 24 hr timer from bunnings for $12.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-surge-protected-24-hour-timer_p4420559

I set it to turn on for 15 minutes then off 15 minutes from 6 am to 6 pm then stay on for 30 minutes then off for 15 at night. I'm brewing a saison using Mangrove Jacks M29 saison yeast (26-32 c) and it's been sitting at 28 for the last 3 days. It's bubbling nicely and going well!!

I still plan on getting a new series kegerator so I can make cheese, braesola, pancetta and brew and serve kegs from it, but it's still a while away until I save up for that.

Latest posts

Back